Newbie question

dumbmick

Aug 25, 2008
I unexpectedly picked up a '98 V6 in mint condition but high miles for $2,000. I just ordered a BBK CAI which I plan to install this afternoon.

How critical is it for me to increase the airflow of the exhaust in order to compensate for the added intake airflow?

I'm not sure if the exhaust on it is stock or not, but it has a fairly good rumble to it, again, that may be the stock sound, I don't know.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

• Sponsors (?)

V6 Stock Exhausts have ZERO rumble to it. It is more than likely aftermarket. If you don't see two pipes out the back and just one, they may have just changed the driver side stock muffler. Get under the car and take a look. And welcome to Stangnet.

Chingon,
Thanks for the welcome. I put the CAI in. The car doesn't sound the same. I remember on my Sebring, that any changes I made required a few days for the computer to learn. Does a similar behavior on the Stangs exist, or should I see instant changes?
Tom

It's really not going to matter. The computer will adjust on it's own over the next few days of driving. The sound is different due to different resonance of the air going through the metal CAI tubing. Your car on the other hand gained 1-2HP tops. CAI's are more for looks than anything.

True, freer flowing exhaust will help somewhat, but the biggest bottlenect is the engine..particularly the cylinder heads and intake manifold.