SN95 Nick's '94 Cobra

95BlueStallion

My assy trans to myself
15 Year Member
Feb 22, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
In case there are a few folks interested in SN's, I'll post up what I've been doing with '94 Cobra. It was a running and driving car for sale with a DSS 306 and 3550, but lucky for me the PO was willing to pull the engine/trans and sell it to me as a roller. I drove to the burbs of Chicago, and we first test drove the car as a driver. Once I could see the brakes and suspension, gauges, etc all worked, we proceeded to pull the drivetrain. I rented a U haul trailer and pulled it home. Here are some pics he took for me before I came to see it, and the day after I got it home as a roller.

Screenshot_20230910_184855_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20230910_184842_Messenger.jpg

20230917_115500.jpg

20230917_122542.jpg

20230917_122556.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

The reason for buying this car was that my Fox needed more work done to it than I cared to do. This car comes with an '01 Cobra IRS, Terminator seats, and a fuel system more than adequate for my 363.

I had the 363 built with a Fox front accessory set up. Then realized I'd have to change the timing cover and water pump AFTER I had bolted it into the bay and hooked up lots of wiring. I was happy. I also needed to swap my freshly rebuilt distributor for an SN style.

20230804_170555.jpg

You can see in the engine pic that the Vic Sr intake and fuel rail set up are different than a factory style. I ended up having to put a 1" carb style spacer to get my throttle body (and cable) to clear the fuel injectors wiring. That means the '96 Cobra hood I planned to use was now out the window. No shutty.

20240321_111509.jpg

I placed an order with HO Fibertrends for a '95 Cobra R hood, as he is who originally made them for Ford. Thought it'd be cool to go that route. Somehow didn't take a picture while test fitting, and it's currently at the shop being painted.

I was able to bolt up the MAC longtubes and prochamber that the PO gave me with the car. While I was down there, I couldn't resist the temptation of torturing myself with polishing the IRS tail pipes. For the record, I will send them out for chrome or ceramic coating before I ever polish from 10 year old condition again.

20240321_110338.jpg

PO installed a rear tower brace with a battery tray attached to it. The car came with an Optima Red Top, but just as with my first SN, I can't get it to hold a charge. So in went the cheapo battery from my Fox that still holds a charge just fine... Yes the battery tray could use new paint, it's flaking off. One day I will get around to that.

20240321_110526.jpg

Next up was removal of the 2004 Anderson Ford PMS, and plug n play install of an MS2. I'm a pretty simple and boring dude, so I didn't need all the fancy stuff the MS3 had to offer. I like my old get in and drive cars without an abundance of tech.

20240305_162022.jpg

20240306_142118.jpg

Those two wires I added coming out of the MS2 are for my wideband. Of the 26 available wires, those were the only 2 I cared to wire.

Another thing I had to change was the pillar gauges, the location the PO had put the wideband display (dash clock), and removal of the gauge pod surround of the factory guages. Can't say I love where I put the fuel pressure and oil pressure gauges. That's still yet to be decided if they will stay, but I don't care for pillar gauges. I find them too distracting and ricer boyish when it's not actually a race car. You can see the Anderson PMS was just loosely installed in the passenger floor area in this first pic.
Screenshot_20240321_175711_Messenger.jpg

Had a friend 3D print me a vent pod for the wideband. I think it came out pretty cool.

20240321_175058.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Man! That car was near mint :nice:
Now it's minty-er :nice::nice:
And here I am put'n lipstick on a pig :nonono:
The PO took great care of the car. He bought it at age 22 I believe, and is now in his late 30s. I remember some of the stuff I did to my first SN, so I've forgiven him for the very few questionable modifications I've come across on this car. He said it hadn't so much as seen rain in 15 years, and it poured on me all the way home with it on a trailer. :(

My tuner is supposed to come Saturday to get a base tune set up. As you can see, I ain't got no MAF. So the 94-95 MS2 base tune is no bueno. Not to mention the big 47 lb injectors versus 19s.

Once it warms up again, I am going to make a box around the air filter to keep the engine temps at bay. I'll post pics of that upon completion.

The poor girl needs a bath horribly. It has an 1/8" of dust on it from being in my barn since Sept. I feel bad that it went from being so pristine to looking like a YT barn find. It'll get a full paint correction of ceramic coating once it's road worthy.

She's a beauty, best of luck Nick.
I've got my brand new mspnp 2 and wideband with controller sitting in the boxes , I wish you would have done an install with pics as I'm not to tech savey.
I have done all the work to my Fox for almost 17 years now but just a little hesitant to dive in to this upgrade.

She's a beauty, best of luck Nick.
I've got my brand new mspnp 2 and wideband with controller sitting in the boxes , I wish you would have done an install with pics as I'm not to tech savey.
I have done all the work to my Fox for almost 17 years now but just a little hesitant to dive in to this upgrade.
It's not bad. It plugs right in where the stock computer was. You need a vacuum line plumbed into the car as the MAP sensor is built into the MS2 versus the stock MAP sensor being under the hood. For the wideband, you just pin a power and a ground off the MS2 options port, and thats it. Mine were pins 25 and 26, but not sure I'd the Fox version is different or not.

Wind came out of my sails a bit today. We learned the hard way that the MS2 needs the spout connector plugged in, and you lock out the timing on the computer. Had no spark for quite a bit of cranking at first, having pulled the spout to lock the timing. Plugs were fouled, so I changed them out with new. On the second crank with new plugs, the battery was shot. Even with a 10 amp charger hooked to it, the starter just clicked. So that was that. My tuner is a single dad and lives 40 minutes away. He gets his daughter tonight and has her a week at a time, so he is busy for at least a week. Bum deal, I was really excited to see how it sounded in the car versus the engine dyno.