Nitrous???? Which kit??

LT1Killa

Oct 16, 2003
I'm thinking about adding nitrous to my stang. My question is which kit is a good choice? Is there really much of a difference in the brands?

I'm looking for a kit in the 75-125hp range. Any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Nitrous express is the BEST! Wet hits alot harder than dry but is more dangerous since it can sometimes puddle in intake runners and explode. I used it for years though without a problem on my old 5.0 listed below

i have a wet kit, and i think its just fine.
it is NX, it was easy to install, never heard of a zex solenoid being very very good, haven't heard if they're bad or good for that matter.

they're kept in a little box right? so when the 'noid dies, the box is junk?
or can you take it apart?

it seems any route you go is going to work fine.

one more thing, i think NX is the only nitrous company that rates their jetting for power to the rear wheels.
again, "think".

For what your looking to do, any basic kit will work fine. You WILL need a 255 fuel pump, i'd use the 255 high pressure. Run 8-10* timing, 1 step colder plugs gapped around .035-.037", 93 octane and a new fuel filter. I've used both wet and dry and I liked the dry better for simplicity.

I have the Edelbrock 80hp Dry kit on my '87 GT. I've used it for four summers now and it is still working great. I've never had any problems with it, super simple to install and appears to be very easy on everything else as well. I have competed in many many brackets and street legal races at the local strips as well as messed around on the street a bit with it. Many many bottles through it. It also comes with a fuel pressure safety cutoff switch that will cut off the nitrous flow if the fuel pressure gets too low. It's never kicked on however. Great kit though.
Have fun with it!

i would gap around .032, i had them at .035 and the was having problems until i gapped tighter per Anderson Ford Motorsports recommendation, I picked up 47 RWHP with same plugs

Can I keep my 19lb injectors/mass air meter, or do I need to upgrade them? The plugs and timing are no big deal but I don't wanna have to change everything and spend a ton of money.

I was told my car has a high flow fuel pump on it, but I don't know which one. Do I NEED a 255lph pump or is that a little overkill for a starter kit?

I have the NOS carbed Sniper system and love it. Their stuff is quality, and their tech help is excellent, both phone and via email, and you can get their stuff nearly anywhere. Summit, the local places, etc, etc. That was important to me.

Compucar seems to support Ford events a lot and also seems to stand behind their stuff.

The local track nitrous refill guy sells NX and all of his cars seem to be well set up.

I just started running an NX (nitrous express) wet efi kit and nothing even comes close. If you run less than a 150hp shot you almost don't need to pull back your timing. The NX kits are a little more pricey but are well worth the money. The have the best nozzle (the Shark) and their solenoids are excellent. However, all the kits made today are pretty good. Whatever you do- get a wet kit. That puddling stuff is a bunch of horse crap. With a 190 or 255lph pump you can run almost any wet kit.

Dry kits work but are a lot more prone to failure. If you have any type of tps or injector problem you can go too lean in a flash. The great thing about a wet kit is that if it’s set up right it will always have enough fuel and eliminate most of the shortcomings of wet kits. Also, a dry kit, often, times will necessitate bigger injectors which in turn can hurt drivability when the nitrous if off. A wet kit supplys it's own fuel and you can basically throw it right on with pretty much nothing else and go. With any type of nitrous kit you will always have to be careful with plugs and timing.

what_stanger? said:
they're kept in a little box right? so when the 'noid dies, the box is junk?

Just hope the "noid" doesn't die in the OPEN position, :notnice:. One thing I would look for any nitrous kit is a progressive nitrous controller, makes the power feel like it's coming from the motor, and not the nitrous.

progressive controllers and window switches are cool and all but i'm doing it the cheap way, only using it to tide me over...

i have a window switch, i need some RPM pills and i might wire it into the nitrous.
as far as nitrous goes, half the fun is hitting it and feeling all the HP at one time, i think its pretty cool for a change..

i would rather run the times on motor, or turbo....in the future.
i may sell the bike and get a turbo set up, then do the shortblock with some heads and intake later on, until then, i'll keep the nitrous, and just shift it from car to truck, to car, to beater.