Nitrous with Longtubes... Can you do it?

TweekedGT

Jul 22, 2004
Alberta
I have heard that you cannot run nitrous on a car with longtube headers and a being catless because the nitrous setup needs the rich/lean input from the O2 sensors. Is this truth or fiction? I want to get nitrous on my car but I'm not sure now because of my longtubes. I think I saw the whole no nitrous with longtubes posted from someone here. Just want to make sure I'm gettting the right info. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

That is NOT true at all.

Only 2 kits out there even use the 02s at all (Venom for one). Every other kit (NX, NOS) doesn't rely on the 02 sensors in the least. Wet and dry kits add fuel independent of the 02 sensor readings. Also, since the front 02s are narrowbands they only read above or below 14.7. If the a/f on your nitrous car gets even close to that you will quickly lose and engine.

Also, adding longtubes will not affect the reading of the front 02s, not sure who spouted that info.

Get nitrous, more specifically get an NX wet kit and be done with it.

Edit: If you are refering to many people ditching the rear 02s with longtubes then it has no bearing what so ever on your car other than for emissions. Front O2s read above/below 14.7 and aren't replaced with longtubes. The rears are usually ditched as their only purpose is for emissions.

Sorry, I proably didn't make myself too clear on this one. I think the issue was more having no catalytic converters than it was the longtubes. Anyways it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem. I'm from Medicine Hat in Southern Alberta. Not a lot of tune shops around. For quality tunes I'll have to go to Calgary in the Spring. There is a guy that is about 45 minutes away near Brooks but he is always way too busy and I don't think he has a lot of experience with our 4.6's. Thanks for the info guys. I guess I can get my nitrous after all. I just wanted to make sure so I didn't go buy a kit an then have to change my exhaust set up.

Red35th said:
Also, adding longtubes will not affect the reading of the front 02s, not sure who spouted that info.

REally?

Longtubes DO effect your front O2 sensors.WIth longtubes it takes them longer to warm up and they are slower to respond until they are warmed up..

As far as effecting the car with NOS ,it has nothing to do with it..
Best bet is to get a tune for the kit you use..