?? -> "Nitto NT555 street" & "Sumitomo HTR-ZIII" @ same $

I need a new pair of 275/17R40 tires up front. I found the Nitto NT555 street tires (Ultra High perf summer) and the Sumitomo HTR ZIII (Max perf summer) tires within $2 a pair of each other.

I've just worn out my set of front HTR ZIII tires (from May of '08), and I've loved them. I had a set of NT555 street tires out back (in 315/17R35), and I loved them while I had them. It is hard for me to chose between these two at the same price, especially since I have experience one up front and the other in back.

With such positive experiences with both, and at under $280/pr (shipped), I am not interested in any others. :nice:

What do you have to say?

Who has experienced both? Anyone? :shrug:

Thanks in advance...

• Sponsors (?)

I LOVE my Nittos. I'm currently running NT555 255/40-17s all around on 9 inch rims, but that's just because I didn't know 275s wouldn't rub in the front, so my next size will be 275/40-17 all around. I doubt I'll ever buy anything else for a daily driven Mustang. Great dry traction (they hold my 335 ft-lbs of torque pretty well if I don't shock them loose), great wet traction (never hydroplaned), and they are wearing/lasting great. I've got almost 30,000 HARD miles on them (with about 150 passes at the strip with a small burnout on each run), and I suspect they'll last well over 10,000 more.

My only complaint is that they seem to track a little, but I don't have anything else to compare them to, so for all I know the tracking they do may be normal.

I have 555 275's all around and they are great. Never had the Sumi's but the better name is Nitto but take that for what it is. Only problem I have seen is tracking a bit but I had that before and I really need to replace my steering rack bushings as they are essentially gone.

I haven't tested the Nitto's but the Sumitomo's didn't impress me much. I won't run them again. I use all Toyos now on almost every car and I'm 100% happier. They were the best handling, quietest, and best riding car and I tested about 10 different tires on the Mustang.

Just thought I'd mention that the mustang now has new Nitto 555 street tires on all for corners. 275s in front and 315s in the rear. I decided to replace the rears at the same time, since I got them "close enough" to worn-out by just waiting a few months.

I am very pleased. :nice:

I believe these 555s up front are at least as good as the HTR Z III's I had there before, and I really liked the Z III's. I'm sure the 555's aren't A LOT better but find they are very comparable and possibly just a bit better. Plus, I think it's cool to finally have all four corners w/ the same model tire. lol

Thanks for all the opinions, everyone. Just wanted to post an update since I've had Nitto's on all four corners now for almost a month and can now render a considered opinion.

:SNSign:

Glad I saw this thread, I'm tire shopping too. ;)

FWIW- I had an '07 Charger SXT/AWD before the Mustang, and did track days with it. I used the HTR ZIII's, 245/45/18 (XL-rated sidewalls!) for my "track tires" and on that 4400 lb. car they worked very well. I even did a track day in moderate rain once, NJMP Thunderbolt, and they were exceptional in the rain and big puddles with my AWD! My best lap at Mid Ohio was 1:58. :nice: