No oiling from rocker on my 331 *VID*

So for a while I've been having this "clattering" coming from what first thought was an exhaust leak and wasn't. Than I checked the rockers and this is what I found. It seems that #5 cylinder, intake side I believe is not getting any oil coming up the pushrod and on top of the rocker. All of the others are getting a great amount of oiling.

It does seem the oiling is the best on #8 and as your work your way up, the oiling is not as good until finally there is none coming out of #5 Intake valve. You can see that #5 Exhaust isn't as good as the others but enough to do the job.

Took the rocker off and the pushrod is clear and so is the rocker.

Any guesses what to check for or why this is happening?

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/60766d3a-6b82-448b-90f0-994b01393818.htm

• Sponsors (?)

... or pushrod... or anything up stream of that. Unless someone can think of a reason NOT to: I'd probably force some compressed air down that rocker and see if something frees up.

I put brand new OEM Ford Racing Lifters in 1,000 miles ago but had this ticking for a good amount of time which I "think" is the same problem.

How does the rocker recieve oil anyways so it shoots up the pushrod? I'm trying to figure out how this oiling system works just for sake of knowledge.

The rocker cup and pushrod don't look abnormally worn so enough oil is getting on it, just can't see any coming up through the top at all.

I had the same problem on my first build. I put in the same lifters and had a collapsed one right off the bat. I'd always heard soak them in a jar of oil right side up the day before putting them in, but the guy at the Ford dealership said that didn't do anything.

I took the "new"lifters out and replaced them. Oil still came out of the bad one, but not until 2000 rpms. If I's on the interstate at low rpms, it would squeak like hell after a while.

I expect your problem to worsen in time, so I'd say try the air... poor some oil down on the lifter and try again. If no go, take the lifters back and get a new set.

I had the same problem on my first build. I put in the same lifters and had a collapsed one right off the bat. I'd always heard soak them in a jar of oil right side up the day before putting them in, but the guy at the Ford dealership said that didn't do anything.

I took the "new"lifters out and replaced them. Oil still came out of the bad one, but not until 2000 rpms. If I's on the interstate at low rpms, it would squeak like hell after a while.

I expect your problem to worsen in time, so I'd say try the air... poor some oil down on the lifter and try again. If no go, take the lifters back and get a new set.

the oil passage runs horizontal through the lifters, then the pushrod. did you blow air through the rocker oil passage? all of these passages are very small and can clog very easily. the old school method of soaking the lifters also requires that you manually pump the lifters while being soaked. i still say bad or clogged lifter.

I will try the air method and see what I come up with.

I also did not soak them before hand, just dunked them in oil and stuck em in there. I wouldn't think I would have this problem on just one as all the others seem to perform fine.

I believe our motors are oiled from the back to the front so I can understand the intense oiling in the back and it tapering off to the front but still doesnt explain why no oil is seeing the front.

I am using 10W-30 motor oil and the motor just turned 1,100 miles since installed last summer.

Thanks for the replies guys as I will take all into consideration!!!!

20w 50 is a very thick oil and should really only be used if there is a low oil pressure problem or if the car gets run in extremely hot temps all the time for extended periods of time. I think the oil grade is not the problem here...obviously all the other rockers/lifters/push rods work fine. I would try the compressed air idea...if no better, pull the lifters

With over 1,000 miles on the clock, using common sense, if there was no oiling to that rocker that the pushrod end and cup inside the rocker would be extremely worn if there was no lubrication.

This really doesnt seem to be the case but I plan on pulling a working rocker to compare the wearing patterns to see if they need replacement.

I think it's just getting oiled from all the oil splashing around in the valve cover but again, there isnt too much splashing going on.

I'll report back when I try the compressed air idea.

it has to be the lifter or the pusrod......same thing happened whe i did my 331 stroker except it happend on the #6 cylinder intake .....turned out a piece of styrafoam was stuck in the pushrod hole!!!! i always check them prior to assembly now!

they make some stuff called engine cleaner or something relative, i had clogged pushrods when i bought the car(really heavy dried oil gunk under intake and valve covers) so i ran a bottle of that through just in case, let it idle with some revvs for about 5min in the driveway, shut it off then changed the oil..it cleared out the pushrods and i havent had a problem since..it might be worth a try

~Mark~

so is it going to hurt that i didn't soak my lifters in oil OR put oil in my pushrods before i put them on my motor last night? the motor is sitting on a stand so if you guys think i should do that, i'll take it back apart and do it tonight.

Kinda strange how the lifter next to it is barely getting any oil....seems like more of a pressure issue since it is heavy at the back and leans out as you move forward. What's the other bank look like while running?

Not sure because there is too much crap in the way to take off. Unless I really have to I will pull the other side but I'm gonna still try the air method in the next couple days.

Everytime I put my motor together, ALL of the pushrods were blown out with brake cleaner and looked through to make sure it is clear. I am very meticulous about keeping parts free of debris and clean when assembling a motor.

Anyone wanna pull their drivers cover and see how it oils?? :)

Forgot what a PITA that would be....but based on your vid, I wouldn't be suprised if the front rockers on the passenger side were dry as well. I hope blowing out the passage works for you. *fingers crossed* :)