no start?

ras50gt

Oct 25, 2005
I can't get the 67 to start. I tested the battery and its fine. I then replaced the starter solenoid because thats one of the cheapest things to start with, before going with a starter,etc. Im now thinking it might be the voltage regulator. I was looking online, searching for any threads and found one which sounds similar to my problem but the page expired so there were no answers. Heres what someone posted, I have basically the same problem but I only here one click and then lose all power, and then have to take a lead off the terminal to try again. Heres the post.......

"Here is the problem. I've got a 64 1/2 mustang. I've replaced the starter solenoid, voltage regulator, starter, ignition switch, distributor, and the plugs/ wires.

When I turn the key to start it, the starter solenoid make a fast clicking sound and the lights go out in the interior. I have to take off one of the leads on the battery and then put it back on for me to try again only to have the same results... I have things wired up correctly I am just now at a loss.."

Besides this, I was looking at kragens and autozone for a cheap voltage regulator, all are generic brands, but why are some closer to 50 bucks and others around 15 bucks? Not sure what the differences would be? Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

what did you use to test the battery with? if just a voltmeter that wont tell you anything. you need to use a load tester like the ones used at the autoparts store. second check all your connections and make sure they are clean and tight. make sure the starter has a good ground, and that the block is grounded to the chassis.