Not an Exhaust Leak...

DaDDyGSp0T

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2002
Southern Cali
the ticking is loud...at idle u can hear it .. tick tick tick....when i rev the ticking gets faster and louder.... what can it be...and how much do you guys think it would cost to fix..i have 87k on my car

• Sponsors (?)

I have the exact same ticking sound... sound like it is comming from passanger side.... im guessing its an exhaust leak... i hope anyways... i think it started with i just swaped out my stock mufflers fr some dynomax.... to big of a in in the a$$ to take the headers off to do anything about it though.

Our cars dont have the lifter issues like 5.0s can have when the get miles on them. We have some form of a lifter, but its not the style the 5.0's have so I really doubt its one of his "lifters". Are they even called lifters on our mod motors?
I have heard that our injectors can cause a ticking sound. Many people have complained about it. I dont think it causes any trouble, but Im sure hearing a ticking sound could be annoying.

StangLou said:
Our cars dont have the lifter issues like 5.0s can have when the get miles on them. We have some form of a lifter, but its not the style the 5.0's have so I really doubt its one of his "lifters". Are they even called lifters on our mod motors?
I have heard that our injectors can cause a ticking sound. Many people have complained about it. I dont think it causes any trouble, but Im sure hearing a ticking sound could be annoying.

yeah...i dunno what it is......maybe i do need to change the gasket..... but the ticking is so loud...i took it to the shop ..... u think the muffler shop change the gasket??they said it sounds like its coming from the motor...and yes i change the oil last week

I can tell you right now, if you have an exhuast leak and its causing unbalanced backpressure, you'll notice it in terms of performance. The gas pedal will begin to feel more "stiff" and throttle response is dulled. Not to mention you may get a "SES" light with some kind of EGR code.