Notchy 5spd shifter for new 06

test drove a brand spankin new 06 GT last night, and to me, the shifter felt extremely notchy...almost like an aftermarket short throw...not to mention, the throw was really short as well.

Now, this car definitely had a flowmaster axle-back exhaust on it; but the salesman ensisted to me the car was 100% stock. I continually asked him if the shifter was aftermarket, and he said no...then I said "Is this car 100% factory?" and he said "yes"! So when we were done with the test drive, I showed him where it said "Flowmaster" on the exhaust tips...:owned:

anyway, I couldn't get the damn thing into 5th gear...it was rediculous! So, how is the factory shifter in these cars???

• Sponsors (?)

wht93gtEd said:
So, how is the factory shifter in these cars???

The shifter is okay, a bit stiff and a LOOONG throw but I don't notice too much notchyness, athough I have missed 2nd-3rd a few times...GRRRIND.

However my new short shifter was delivered today so I will be putting that in this weekend. I will take picutures of the progress and post when I am done.

Do you experience alot more tranny/road noise when replacing your stock shifter on the new stangs? The Pro5.0 I had on my 93 vibrated and I could here all kinds of drivetrain noise in the car. It didn't bother me in that car, but I think it would tick me off when in a new one.

'06 Shifter

Instead of replacing my stock shifter, I up graded it. I got the short throw adapter block kit from Saleen, and the urathane bushing kit from Steeda. Took about an hour to install and cost about$75. The difference is amazying, I think it is as good as an aftermarket shifter. Very happy with results. No noise or vibration.

You're the second person I've heard that has done that. The other guy was happy with the upgrade kit too. I personally like some slop in a shifter. Kind of a looser feel. Some guys just love that extreme short throw with the notchy feel, no play whatsoever. That's not for me.

The notchy feel and short throw you got on your test drive almost has to be aftermarket(you can hide it all under factory know and boot)..
I upgraded to Hurst last week and there is no comparison between the two. It feels like a different transmision during shifting.. Very 'notchy' and positive feedback, vs the stock smooth feel and long throw. The factory one is quieter and rather good all things considered, but for that close distance and positive feel, the aftermarkets are fun.

noise is transfered durring certain conditions, but usually only at high rpm in 4th gear.. Lost of noise in the Hurst is a sign of a bad unit.

The Hurst unit is very much like the factory one with a short throw( just take a look at pictures of them side by side), where the saleen adapter makes the factory one have a shorter throw.. and should acomplish much the same thing.

If you aren't looking for the "look" of the Hurst shifter, I would suggest starting with the Saleen, as $40 does much of the same thing as $175 does with the Hurst.
Matt-