OBD I codes

will_95gt

Jul 27, 2004
Austin, TX
Hey guys, I'm sorry to have these codes posted in another thread on StangNet, I'm usually not one to double post but because I am about to take a 3 hour car trip, its urgent I get some feedback from you guys ASAP:

These are the codes that I pulled:

Code 565 - "Canister purge circuit failure" [X2]
Code 172 - "Heated O2 sensor indicates lean condition on right side" [X2]
Code 175 - "Heated O2 sensor unable to switch, left side" [X2]
Code 171 - "Heated O2 sensor unable to switch, right side"
Code 176 - "Heated O2 sensor indicates lean condition, left side" [X2]
Code 181 - "Adaptive fuel rich limit reached at part throttle, right side" [X2]
Code 189 - "Adaptive fuel rich limit reached, left side" [X2]

I cleared the codes after reading the ones I posted above and during a second test the only code that stil remains s the "Canister purge circuit failure".

Any info on these would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Will

• Sponsors (?)

Cleaned the MAF sensor, eh? Sounds like a plan. I already reset the computer and none have come back so far except for the 565.

The canister purge circuit failure has been a repeating error. Still trying to figure out what thats about :-\

The CANP (Canister Purge) solenoid is on the passenger side right near the A/C and heater core lines. It'll have a vacuum hose on one side leading to the intake, the other heads into the passenger fender. It will have an electrical connector plugged into the bottom. It basically vents gas tank fumes (collected in the charcoal canister in the fender) into the intake manifold rather than venting into the air.

A CANP failure should not hurt driveability. Bench test the solenoid when you have time. Power and ground to it will allow air to pass from one nipple to the other. Remove the power or ground and the pathway is blocked.