Odometer question

1988_gt_mustang

Nov 18, 2004
Michigan
well i bought the car with 106.xxx miles and the guy said there is something goin on since i put the 3:73s in he said he put them in with 70,xxx miles on and it shot up to 106 fast. I was like what ever hes lieing to make me think its got low miles so anyways i drove it for maybe 4 months at the most and put 80k miles on it. Jus wondering if anyone else had this prob and if it can b fixed.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

By putting the steeper gears in and not correcting the speedometer with the proper gear, it WILL make the miles on the odometer rack up faster.

The odometer registers miles based on the speedometer. If your speedometer is dead on, and you drive 70 mph for 1hr, your speedo should register an additional 70 miles in that hour.

If he replaced stock 2.73 gears with 3.73 gears, the speedometer will be off considerably. The speedometer will indicate that you are going faster than you really are. and the faster you go, the more off it will be.

If you are traveling at 70 mph but your uncorrected speedometer says you are going 90mph then it is racking up miles at a rate of 20miles for every hour than you are actually putting on the car.

Clear as mud??

That is the issue with mine. I figured every 100 Km's I put on mine the od would go up 110-115 so yea it adds up fast. But if you wanted to correct over time you could always put a speedo gear in for taller gears than what you really have or just leave the cable unhooked for a while.