OFF TOPIC (GMC TRUCK BRAKES)

slepe67

Mar 30, 2005
Hey all, been a while since I posted. Dont get me started. Sellin some bikes, the car is gonna be done by 07. Anywho, I have had a real nice 1994 GMC pickup for a few years now. Not a problem one with it till now. (YES-I'm a FORD man). The previous owner said that he had the brakes done. What was done, I do not know, with the exception of the rear brake cylinders. I drive down a rather congested "highway" (US98) here in NW FL. Bumper to bumper, getting cut off regularly, stop and go, daily grind type driving. Yes the worst possible environment for a classic Mustang. Lately, when I hit the brakes firmly for the first time of the drive, they seem to be ok. Then, the next time I hit the assertively, they pull (read:jerk) to the left, then after a second, they straighten out as if nothing happened. I have to prepare for it, or I think I would do a little off-roading. I could see if they constanly pulled left, that the rotor is bigger on that side, but...what do you think? Should I just get them turned or replaced, as well as new pads? Pads looks to have life left in them, but, after this, think I'll swap em out. lemme know what ya think...:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

NW Florida, huh? Has your Jimmy been to the beach and dipped a toe into the water recently? Seriously.

When the Rice-Eating Generic Chevy Truck was about 3 years old, she hauled a bunch of stuff and some of the kids in my Boy Scout Troop on a weekend trip to Fiesta Island in Sandy Eggo. At the time, San Diego County was not quite as left-leaning as the rest of the state; and we could pull out on the beach to load and unload gear. That Sunday morning (we were leaving early), I rolled the left-front tire/wheel through a small tidal puddle. Later in the morning, same story as yours - first stop was okay, but it would pull to the left. Next application of the brakes found me diving for the median on Interstate 8 :eek:

Pulled it all apart - one b***h of a time getting the caliper bolts loose; and a coating of white crusty stuff all over the bolts. The caliper was "hanging up" and wouldn't slide enough to relieve pressure on the inboard brake pad - it was always trying to brake, so it grabbed really quick with the slightest pedal pressure. Hosed the bolts and the caliper mounting ears with spray-on Liquid Wrench, WD40 and Brake Clean, dried 'em off and shot 'em down with spray silicone. Worked great for about two weeks, and same thing all over again. I finally gave up and replaced the bolts. I guess it was something about the saltwater residue getting baked into the light plating on the bolts and the cast iron of the calipers. :shrug:

There's probably a simple fix for the problem; but I thought new bolts were a pretty simple and cheap fix, considering the circumstances. :D

I would say its the front rubber hoses or the slide pins. Remember that the front hoses rott from the inside and may look fine from the outside. I would replace those two items first and if it still acts up I would look at getting new calipers. Remember to always to replace brake componets in pairs.

never would have thought of either fix. Keep it simple stupid (KISS) is my motto. Well, most of the time. As far as salt water submersion...unlikely...however, being 100m from the ocean, the odds may have gone up. I'll check it out later, when it quits raining. Got the Stang in the garage where it needs to be...

I guess I just need to get in there. I bought a new FJ cruiser for my wife today, and she drove my truck home. I kinda forgot to tell her about the brakes. Needless to say, NOT happy. I noticed on the truck that if I ease into the brakes, then get on em, it doesnt jerk over. If I have to slam on them, it'll honk left hard. Thanks again Still working on thinking about fixing it....I'm bad, I know...

Just for closure, and possible searches in the future....I fixed it. It was a brake line. I swapped em both out, bled em, and adjusted my rear brakes. I also took out the calipers and their hardware, and cleaned everything up with a small wire brush, WD 40, and put em back in, just in case. Feels like a new truck. Amazing what a bit of elbow grease can do. Now, if I can do anything to my CAR...thanks again for all your help!!!!!!!!:flag: