Official seat search.

ScottJ

Founding Member
Oct 29, 2001
Birmingham, AL
Well, I've talked about replacing the seats ever since I bought the GT. But as of yesterday I've officially had it. Drove over to the Atlanta Auto Show and for the two hour drive both ways I was unable to ever get comfortable. I guess the nice units in the Audi have spoiled me. It's gotten so bad I've even thought of getting rid of the GT (maybe for a 99-01 Cobra).

Well, the smartest option would be to replace the seats. Now I have to decide with what.

Ideally, I'd like to keep all the power adjustment for the driver's seat (adding it to the passenger would be nice but probably insanely expensive). The only real problem I see with the GT seat design is the cushions. They have those bulges just behind the knees and behind the shoulders that put you in bad posture.

I've sat in Cobra, Bullitt and Mach 1 seats and all those are fine. So picking up a used set of those would be easy and economical.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!

AVOID CORBEAU if you want seat that last. The material they use to cover them sucks @ss and will wear out within a year. The hinges on the seats rip out of the frame over time due to the frame being made out of very thin metal.

Sparco's are MUCH more comfortable. I here good things about the new Summit seats, but I have never sat in them.

ScottJ said:
I've sat in Cobra, Bullitt and Mach 1 seats and all those are fine. So picking up a used set of those would be easy and economical.
Easy yes. Economical? HELL NO!!!

For price I've seen for them(I saw 03 Cobra seat for something like 1300 on e-bay once), get sparco Trino. little les expensive, but my goodness they are nice, and comfy. Friend of mine had it in his 92 MR2, and they are about best seat can get in my opinion....

ScottJ said:
... Cobra, Bullitt and Mach 1 seats and all those are fine. So picking up a used set of those would be easy and economical ...
These are expensive seats. Every knows how sweet the Cobra seats are, so they frequently sell for about $1000 for a nice used set, and frequently more than that. The Bullitts and Mach 1 seats are in limited edition cars that their owners will often hold on to like grim death, even if they do replace them. Finding Bullitt or Mach seats is near impossible, and likely more expensive than the Cobra option. Personally, I think the Bullitt and Mach seats are over-rated anyway -- they are just GT seats with some better bolstering, headrest, and leather. They are not worth anything close to what they would cost you. Cobra seats are a totally different animal... The other option is a nice used set of Recaros, like out of a newer Bimmer.

MaxMustang said:
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!

AVOID CORBEAU if you want seat that last. The material they use to cover them sucks @ss and will wear out within a year. The hinges on the seats rip out of the frame over time due to the frame being made out of very thin metal.

Sparco's are MUCH more comfortable. I here good things about the new Summit seats, but I have never sat in them.

ive had my seats for about a year and a half and they look as good as new...you cant take one persons bad experiences and decide that a seat is inferior or a seat company makes overall bad products...i'll get a few pics of my corbeaus up for you tonight

My corbeaus are great. With Sparco you are paying for the name. Thats why you can get JDM sparcos for 200. There is no name on them. They'll last as long as any other as long as you take care of them. I'll try to post a pic

I just bought Corbeau Forza seats,....love them! The seat mounting bracket is very high quality and the seats themselves seem to be very well made and sturdy. They do not recline however with minor manipulation of the mount a suitable seat back angle should be possible.

I found in my research that the Corbeau CR1's are very popular, but a 5 point harness is not possible.

Most seats can be adapted to the factory mount somehow, but I found i didn't much care for the adjustment available so I just replaced everything.

I made sure I Scotch guarded them.

Roush97 said:
ive had my seats for about a year and a half and they look as good as new...you cant take one persons bad experiences and decide that a seat is inferior or a seat company makes overall bad products...i'll get a few pics of my corbeaus up for you tonight

Still looking forward to seeing the pics. I have an August '03 MM&FF listing the CR1 for $399. I assume that's cloth. Any idea how much more leather costs?

not the greatest pictures but you get the idea of the seats.
newint1.jpg

newint2.jpg