Official Tremec 3650 Issues Thread

jrc_03_gt said:
I have more details for the fix. all of these part numbers start with 3r3z there are a total of 4 parts. The numbers may be flip-flopped with the part but I was assured that the numbers are right here they are:

1st and 2nd syncro = 3r3z 7124BA

2nd gear = 3r3z 7102AA

Blocker = 3r3z 7107AA

Shift Fork = 3r3z 7230AB

My service manager said it is a fix for the 1/2 gear grind. He also said ford will be releasing a service bulletin very soon. Good luck everyone. Cross your fingers.
This is the real deal! I just had a different ford dealership run the part numbers from above through his parts representative, they are updated / new parts. They are not the same parts as the originals. Lets hope it fixes it for good.

• Sponsors (?)

YEssssssss

Took my Bullitt to the dealer last Sat. to talk about the cold gear clash. They had someone ride with me and he thought the shifting was a little stiff, but nothing to cause a problem. He suggested I bring the car back Monday and let the transmission guy drive it. Transmission guy says shifting seemed fine to him but that was probably due to engine being warmed up. I agreed and told him I ahd to double clutch inthe mornings until warm-up, and that I would leave the car with them so they could experience it firsthand. He said "no need" and that there were soem parts he would order. He mentioned synchros and a second gear. THis is great news. Hopefully, Ford will finally be doing us right.

Hmmm, well mine is a 01 and have had 3 previous rebuilds/replacements and is now broke again for the 4th time. I wonder if they'll use these new parts when I take it, cause I've been holding out, trying not to drive it until I can take it in to get fixed with new updated parts. Hmmmmmmm. Might have to call dealer tomorrow.

I emailed Ford Corporate again today with the P/N's to see what I can dig up. The last time I emailed them they called me at work. I also posted a link to this thread for backup/proof I am not nuts. We'll see what happens. Keep the updates coming.

CraigThaCrab said:
Get us a tsb, or else they like to give us dumb looks at the dealerships! Thanks for the updates, keep them coming!

Yeah, that was how it turned out for me last night. I took the Part Numbers
and talked to the service manager, and he gave me the run around about "that may not be your problem so come one morning and drop off your car and let us have it for a few days..." So I tell him that I know that a TSB is being released and that a lot of people are having problems, so he lets me talk to the mechanic. I tell him about my symptoms...loud tranny whine when cold, 1 to 2 cold clash grind, and the thud sound when shifting between 1 -2. His answer... "I have never heard of problems with this tranny. Is it the 6 speed? The one from the Cobra? that is all normal... blah blah blah" :bang: Why do I want someone like that working on my car? Can I take my car to a dealership other than the one where I bought it when/if the TSB releases? I don't mind letting them have it for a few days/weeks as long as I know they will fix it.

Talk to shop foreman

TribalMan said:
Yeah, that was how it turned out for me last night. I took the Part Numbers
and talked to the service manager, and he gave me the run around about "that may not be your problem so come one morning and drop off your car and let us have it for a few days..." So I tell him that I know that a TSB is being released and that a lot of people are having problems, so he lets me talk to the mechanic. I tell him about my symptoms...loud tranny whine when cold, 1 to 2 cold clash grind, and the thud sound when shifting between 1 -2. His answer... "I have never heard of problems with this tranny. Is it the 6 speed? The one from the Cobra? that is all normal... blah blah blah" :bang: Why do I want someone like that working on my car? Can I take my car to a dealership other than the one where I bought it when/if the TSB releases? I don't mind letting them have it for a few days/weeks as long as I know they will fix it.
The Shop foreman told me they can replace the trans,but it won't help. he said we need A TSB on this or nothing will work. They have my vin# in the system. they will let me know when a TSB comes out. So I don"t know what all these part #'s Are. I Know A Service Writer at a Ford Dealership and has seen nothing on this. And he's a Freind for 20 years. So I don't Know What the He ll is going on. But Don't Post ontill their is a TSB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my car is being fixed on monday with the new updated parts. I dont have the tsb number yet but trust me it is comming Im 100% sure on that. I was told that from a ford executive's office. Hang in there it will take some time for the tsb to hit all the dealers. Trust me just hang in there. They will fix it. If they have the tsb # I will post it as soon as I get it.

jrc_03_gt said:
my car is being fixed on monday with the new updated parts. I dont have the tsb number yet but trust me it is comming Im 100% sure on that. I was told that from a ford executive's office. Hang in there it will take some time for the tsb to hit all the dealers. Trust me just hang in there. They will fix it. If they have the tsb # I will post it as soon as I get it.
Please post TSB #'s When you get them. Goog Luck on your fix on Monday. let us Know how it works. Thanks. Dom

Alright fellow stangers, I have a tip....

I came up with a "temporary fix" for the 3650 until we actually do get a TSB or something. The past 2 days I have experimented with my tranny in the mornings with positive results. This is for the people that don't have MAJOR issues, but rather the people who have problems with the mini-grind on the 1-2 shift when it's cold out (and it's cold here in Raleigh in the mornings).

Before starting your engine, push the clutch in and play with ALL the gears. Put it into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4rth, 5th, and reverse about 5 times. You will notice the first few times going to first, second, and reverse that it's extremely notchy but it gets easier the more you mess with it. When it feels smooth "like it should", then you drive it. What this does is basically get the kinks out a MUCH SAFER way then actually grinding while rolling (which is almost inevitable). You may think to yourself well isn't playing with the gears while the car isn't moving a bad idea since it feel notchy, NO. Go smooth trying to even out the shift points. If you just start your car and drive you won't have this opportunity to smoothen your shifts. At least it's a bad idea to shift "too" smoothly while on the road (and dangerous).

After doing the technique above instead of mini-grinding about 3 or 4 times in the mornings, I only mini-grind the very first time shifting to 2nd. I can't garantee it will work on everyone's 3650 but if it works for me I'm sure it'll help out some other stangers.

Skud said:
Have you called ford and let them know there is a problem?

Riley

I have talked to my dealer about it, but haven't carried it in. I have been waiting for th TSB before I carry it in. I hate taking my vehicles into the dealer. I just don't think the dealer cares about my car as much as I do.

It's getting fixed as I type this update! My fingers are still crossed. Still no tsb though. I dont know why it is not out yet, but again I was told by a ford executive office there will be a tsb soon. I will post more when I get the car back.

I've found the best way to shift until this is fixed. I've tried everything and this is the easiest and it works. When you shift from 1st to 2nd, push in the clutch and pull the shifter to the neutral position and release the handle so that it falls in between 3rd and 4th and then pull it back to the left and shift into 2nd and release the clutch. When I do this, there is no grind at all.

I sure hope Ford issues a TSB soon. :nonono: