Official Tremec 3650 Issues Thread

I've been able to virtually eliminate the grind as well(even in the -30 degree celsius crap we get up here). What i do, is when i shift from 1st to 2nd, i pull the shifter to about halfway into 2nd(i let up just as i get to the spot where it would normally grind). Once im at that spot, i ease it further into gear, very slowly. Obviously this is quite annoying to do, but after driving with this crappy trans for 3 yrs, ive developed a feel for the exact moment the 1st to 2nd shift will grind, and have used that method to get around it.

I also have switched out my stock tranny fluid to the 3.2L of mercon ATF that was supposed to work wonders. It didnt stop the grind completely, as i said i have to shift very carefully to second and feel my way into gear, but the new fluid definately made the shift more manageable.

With that said, it is a pain in the ass to have to shift like this(VERY SLOW!!), and i can't wait for a tsb.(the 1st to 2nd shift still grinds like hell if i dont shift carefully like i do)

• Sponsors (?)

It's sad that we have to come up with these techniques to get our cars to shift without grinding.

I know that it's been brought up before, but I will ask this one last time here in hopes of an answer from somebody who knows. My Steeda Tri-ax has finally arrived and I'm so anxious about putting this on. Whenever the TSB hits the dealerships, I'll be taking it in for repair. Now, will they be able to tell if I had an aftermarket shifter when their working on my car? I plan on putting the stock shifter back in before repairing (obviously) but I don't want to chance them saying "oh well the shift points have been changed" or some crap like that and they void my warranty.

thanks for any reply

oldskooler79 said:
It's sad that we have to come up with these techniques to get our cars to shift without grinding.

I know that it's been brought up before, but I will ask this one last time here in hopes of an answer from somebody who knows. My Steeda Tri-ax has finally arrived and I'm so anxious about putting this on. Whenever the TSB hits the dealerships, I'll be taking it in for repair. Now, will they be able to tell if I had an aftermarket shifter when their working on my car? I plan on putting the stock shifter back in before repairing (obviously) but I don't want to chance them saying "oh well the shift points have been changed" or some crap like that and they void my warranty.

thanks for any reply

I HIGHLY recommend NOT putting your new shifter on until you are satisfied with the way your tranny shifts (or you just decide to live with the notchy shifting tranny.) The last time I was at the dealer, they pointed out to me that I had an aftermarket shifter and aftermarket underdrive pullies (DUH!!!) The bad thing about this is they documented these two mods on my warranty receipt. They aren't just doing that so I remember what mods I have on my car! :mad:

Funny thing is the said nothing about my SFCs, Steeda Springs, or the DS safety loop!

Seriously, wait out this TSB and see how things develop before you install your shifter. If you want to do anything, just get a catback exhaust for now to tide you over!

BMan5150 said:
I HIGHLY recommend NOT putting your new shifter on until you are satisfied with the way your tranny shifts (or you just decide to live with the notchy shifting tranny.) The last time I was at the dealer, they pointed out to me that I had an aftermarket shifter and aftermarket underdrive pullies (DUH!!!) The bad thing about this is they documented these two mods on my warranty receipt. They aren't just doing that so I remember what mods I have on my car! :mad:

Funny thing is the said nothing about my SFCs, Steeda Springs, or the DS safety loop!

Seriously, wait out this TSB and see how things develop before you install your shifter. If you want to do anything, just get a catback exhaust for now to tide you over!

Thanks. I don't have a catback yet but it's the next thing on my "to do" list. I figured the Tri-ax would cause some dispute at the dealership so I'm holding off. Not indefinately but at least until we get this TSB rollin'. The grinding isn't much of a problem for me anymore (read my earlier post) and is something I can deal with but I surely won't be powershifting as it sits. That's my biggest concern because I'm about to reach the break-in period and my foot will suddenly start to feel heavier. These Ford guys need to speed it up!

My question is assuming there is a TSB on this and takes lets say 3 or 4 business days to repair the 3650 who is going to eat the cost of a rental car? This may not be a problem for some people here, but for me it is going to be a huge issue. This is my only set of wheels, and the mindset when I purchased it was for reliablility and looks. I can just hear them telling me that Enterprise Rental is right next door....this could get pricey.

jprez22 said:
My question is assuming there is a TSB on this and takes lets say 3 or 4 business days to repair the 3650 who is going to eat the cost of a rental car? This may not be a problem for some people here, but for me it is going to be a huge issue. This is my only set of wheels, and the mindset when I purchased it was for reliablility and looks. I can just hear them telling me that Enterprise Rental is right next door....this could get pricey.

I am sure that they would give you a "loaner" but it probably wouldn't be a Mustang.

I changed from Redline back to Quaker State Dexron III (3.25 quarts) and its better than the Redline. The grinding seems to only happen the first 2-3 shifts then smooths out. Sometimes its more random. Ive been using the nuetral before second method as well.

I hope the TSB will cover me even with the Pro 5.0. They are going to know it has been changed even if I swich back since I had to cut the rubber boot at the base of the shifter. I may ask them if they are going to hassle me before bringing it in and then find a dealer who doesnt care.

I have my stang back and it appears to shift smoother. The real test will be tonight when I get off work after the car has sat out in the cold tempertures for several hours. I will post my results early wed. morning.

MineralGt said:
hey jrc 03 gt, I am desperate to get this "fix" done. Did they replace your tranny parts with the 4 new ones listed earlier in this thread? EXACTLY, what did they do? Keep us posted!!

I think we are all desperate to get this "fix". Let's just wait and see what he has to say, I'm sure he'll fill us in on the scoop. But, if I'm not mistaken he is paying for this "fix". Those 4 parts aren't part of an TSB yet so I'm not sure how he's getting this covered by Ford. Are they covering it jrc 03 gt?

Covered or not, if it actually works then I want to know exactly what they did to your car jrc 03 gt. By the time the TSB comes out my tranny will more than likely bite the big one (i grinded pretty hard this morning). Can you also give us some a ballpark price on this "fix" for those of us who wants to do it immediately.

Thanks jrc 03 gt

Hey All--

In todays mail I received a letter from Ford Consumer Affrairs regarding my letter to them on the 3650 issue. The gist of their letter states they are unaware of any recall or TSB present, past, or in the near future and that my local delearship has been contacted for me to bring my car in for a fluid change. Go figure....been doing the 1 to 2 grind since day one and a fluid change 25000 miles later should resolve my concerns. I dont know where you guys got the info on a TSB but I certianly hope its accurate. According to Carla Zulinksi Consumer Intervention/Retention there is no such animal. :shrug:

If you are having these issues and are getting put off at the dealership, your dealer should have the paper work to apply for an arbitration hearing with ford motor company. You should also file a complaint with the better business bureau , it's easy you can do it all online. File it against ford motor company. Ford will contact you in a week or two and it wont be that sorry customer service line.

jprez22: I just got off the phone with a service technician from my dealership, following through with this whole tsb thing. He hasn't yet heard anything either. Like I said in my ealier post, it could take up to 3 months before Ford actually issues something to be done about our cars from the time it gets leaked either on the internet or by a ford rep from an inside source. My guessing based on what I'm told is that we first heard of a TSB around the first of the year. So we can expect a TSB to hit sometime in the first 2 weeks of April (give or take). This is of corse, if it's gonna happen.

jrc 03 gt: Congrats on the "fix". I only have 500 miles on my stang so getting mine fixed shouldn't be a hassle either. I just don't know *how* to go about doing it. You mentioned about 4 parts being swaped/added. Your dealership must have known about these parts and was willing to do this for you. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do as opposed to driving in and saying, "Well I have these 4 parts that supposedly "fixes" my transmission from grinding in cold weather. Can I setup a time to drop my car off?" I'm not sure if that's going to "fly by" at the dealer. My dealership is about 2 miles from my house and thusfar have given me nothing short of great service (exept for not knowing about the TSB) and I plan to continue going there for repair/service. My question is how exactly did you go about getting this done? (even under the warranty) If you can answer that for me, I'll be the first in line tomorrow morning with my car and not to mention it will solve my "not wanting to start my car up and completely skip 2nd gear" problem dramatically.

Once again, thanks for your reply jrc 03 gt. Sorry to overwhelm you with my questions but you sure could save my tranny and time is critical in my case.

Ok, It was 12* out when I got into my car this morning. It sat for 7 1/5 hours outside. The car shifts a lot better. Still a little notchy, but nothing like before when I would miss 2 gear because of gear grind. I only drove the car about 3 miles but I can tell It has improved with the new parts. Its going to be cold here all week so I will get to test it more each day.

bluefishboy

jrc_03_gt said:
Ok, It was 12* out when I got into my car this morning. It sat for 7 1/5 hours outside. The car shifts a lot better. Still a little notchy, but nothing like before when I would miss 2 gear because of gear grind. I only drove the car about 3 miles but I can tell It has improved with the new parts. Its going to be cold here all week so I will get to test it more each day.

what is the name of the dealership you had the job done at.
how did they code in the 1 to 2 grind to get it taken care
of under warranty. what is the service managers name?