Oil Change Question

• Sponsors (?)

99-04 GT's take different amount of oils. My manual calls for 5 but I actually need 6.

I believe 99s take 5qts. My 04 takes 6.

Use the standard Motorcraft FL820S.

Just did my oil change this morning with 5w20 Pennzoil Platinum FL820S filter and she breathes fire now :nice:

the 99 mustangs called for 5w30. ford back spec'd them to 5w20, but 5w30 was the recommended weight in the owners manual. the filter was a FL-820S. when you go to the store, buy 6 quarts, and put in 5, run it and see where the level is on the dipstick. if its needs more, add more.

Amsoil is the only way to go. Use Carquest blue box filters they are made by Wix. Amsoil has been proven to be the best synthetic oil on the market. Never hurts to put in a few ounces of Savalon either, you can use it in your diffs and trannys too. And stick with 5W 30.

I have seen mobil 1 tests, and they are damn close to amsoil. It's WAAAY cheaper than amsoil, so I get 5 quarts from walmart for $25. Stay away from penzoil, that dyno oil is crap. Plus the detergents in sysnthetic oils help clean your engine. Just buy 6 quarts, poor in 5, and check the dip stick. Add more if needed.

BTW- stick with 5w-30 oil. 2v oil passages are very thin and higher viscosity oil could make it harder for the oil to travel and lube parts.

10w30 might be too viscous for your 4.6L. I'd stick with a 5w20 or a 5w30.

10w30 and 5w30 are the same weight at operating temp.

In the summer, you'd be fine with 10w30. In the winter, you'd be better off staying away from 10w30.

5w20 is basically what amounts to a thin veil that has been pulled over the eyes of the public. Ford claims better gas mileage, but very few know that it's only ~0.1 mpg, if that. Also, the oil companies get to say that they are making steps toward being "greener". This is probably the biggest reason Ford uses it. It's a checkmark in a box on some CAFE/EPA requirements spreadsheet that is being satisfied.
Hogwash, I tellz ya!

ive always used 5w20 mobile 1....

why is it that most of you guys are pushing for 5w30, or 10w30? what would the advantage of this be? the oil cap does say 5w20...

Look at a '99 or '00, or anything older for that matter. 710 cap "says" 5w30.

I've already outlined why the newer ones use 5w20. Whether or not you believe me is your prerogative.

ive always used 5w20 mobile 1....

why is it that most of you guys are pushing for 5w30, or 10w30? what would the advantage of this be? the oil cap does say 5w20...

read post #10

The engine was designed around 5W-30, but ford changed to 5w-20 because it helped their CAFE number.

I could care less about ford's CAFE numbers and just want to run the oil viscosity the engine was toleranced for.