Oil for rear?

• Sponsors (?)

Friction modifier is an addivite you put in to help your rear-end form chattering or something along those lines. If your running regular gear oil you'll need it. Some synthetics do not require the friction modifer. I *believe* it is 75-120W....but some synthetics are different. Ask the parts guy for the correct oil weight or search.

I might run some dino oil in there initially (with FM) and then once you break the gears in, change it out to a synthetic of your choice.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
I might run some dino oil in there initially (with FM) and then once you break the gears in, change it out to a synthetic of your choice.

Good luck.

I like to change the oil shortly after new gears are put in there as well, in case any shavings, etc. come off initially. There's certainly no reason to run expensive synthetics just to change it out so quick if that's the way you decide to go. But after that -- I vote for a synthetic oil. :nice:

Any synthetic shoul work well -- as I mentioned above, I have used Mobil-1 and Amsoil before, and have used dino oil before as well. Can't say I ever noticed a difference, but it's one of those things you just know is better to do.

Exactly, you are not gonna go wrong with any quality synthetic. I go with what I can get locally at a decent price.

Good luck.

I recently changed my gear oil. At the Ford dealership where I went to get the modifier, they said that my 'Stang required 75-W140 synthetic even though the manual specifically calls for 80-W90.

The parts guy was all too happy to offer me Motocraft 75-W140 at the bargain basement price of $23/quart!

80-W90 dino oil from NAPA ($5/quart) seems just fine to me.

BTW: Make sure you open up that 4 oz. bottle of friction modifier in a well ventilated place, and that you don't get any of it on you. IT SMELLS AWFUL!!

Look at it this way....how often are you gonna change the rear end gear oil?

Like....once every few years?

Even if the synthetic makes 1% extra economy, power from reduced friction, it will pay for itself many times over PLUS, the synthetics dont need friction modifier.

FM is the bane of my existence. It is hands down.....the smelliest stuff ever created by man. It's like the deepest, most penetrating and persistent stench of......pine tree sweat burnt oil. Its horrific!! Avoid it if you can. You'll get a taste of it when you pop the diff open.

Hey, rebuild the tracloc while you are in there.....easy, $50 for the clutches and you basically have the thing already apart so you just need to rotate the spiders out, yank the clutches, put the new clutches in and rotate the spiders back in.

Well I'm doing a gear swap too. I have a bottle of friction modifier and this oil
DSCN0300.jpg

Am I going to be ok using these 2 things? I was also told that our differentials require synthetic oil..

Attachments

• DSCN0300.jpg
    DSCN0300.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 38