Oil leak! (pic inside)

carbed

Jul 26, 2009
this isnt my car just a generic pic. My car is leaking oil (only when its running) from the cork gasket on the passenger side bottom. If I cut this gasket even with the round part on the pan, is it possible I might have success if I maybe use some ultra black rtv or jb weld on the rounded corner? When I put the cover on I used a blob of rtv on the corners but the leak doesnt seem to be coming from those areas, mainly in the middle on that side

Like I said the pic isnt my car just a pic to see what I mean...my engine is assembled

View attachment 250125

• Sponsors (?)

JB weld?! Do you plan on taking off the timing cover? I would take off the timing cover, use that as a chance to get a new water pump, when you buy the timing cover gasket set it will come with those corner gaskets. If it is in between the block and pan, you can try RTV but if it doesnt work ultimately you will need to change the pan gasket.

JB weld?! Do you plan on taking off the timing cover? I would take off the timing cover, use that as a chance to get a new water pump, when you buy the timing cover gasket set it will come with those corner gaskets. If it is in between the block and pan, you can try RTV but if it doesnt work ultimately you will need to change the pan gasket.

I think part of the problem was...when I put the timing cover on, on that side the locating dowel didnt want to make its way into the timing cover when I tightened it. :fuss: It finally did but it took me using a longer bolt on the cover to pull it in some and then taking that out and using the standard bolt to tighten. I imagine when doing so the cork piece slid out of place a little (even though I used a little yellow hi tack to hold it still first)

I have been told you can use the green threadlocker, pinetrating stuff or something like that. An old biker told me to clean the area where the leak is real good of oil, Then squeeze it into the crack and it will actual pinetrate the metal forming a seal. Not sure if this works but I may try it on one of my bikes one of these days. Thought it was interesting.

I have been told you can use the green threadlocker, pinetrating stuff or something like that. An old biker told me to clean the area where the leak is real good of oil, Then squeeze it into the crack and it will actual pinetrate the metal forming a seal. Not sure if this works but I may try it on one of my bikes one of these days. Thought it was interesting.

thanks for the tip...I put some ultra black rtv in that little spot it was coming from and smoothed it with my finger and Ill let it dry overnight. I figured...whats it gonna hurt to try, worst case scenario...I'll be scraping it back off if I have to pull the timing cover again (which I'll be scraping gaskets anyway)

permatex sells a spray can of stuff. your suppose to spray it on an area where a gasket is leaking and it seals. i've got a can , but i havent tried it.just my temp fix info. jon:flag:

Ive had a Permatex rep present that spray product to me, and it seems like a cool product but Im not sure if it would work in his situation. Ive personally used Permatex products and I think theyre junk compared to 3M or the RTV you can buy at the stealership.

Back to carbed's question, I would first off get rid of that cork gasket and get the PermaDry or whatever it is from felpro. Ive used them on both my 5.0s and not one problem or leak. I have only seen problems from cork gaskets, they always leak.

-Jon

I think part of the problem was...when I put the timing cover on, on that side the locating dowel didnt want to make its way into the timing cover when I tightened it. :fuss: It finally did but it took me using a longer bolt on the cover to pull it in some and then taking that out and using the standard bolt to tighten. I imagine when doing so the cork piece slid out of place a little (even though I used a little yellow hi tack to hold it still first)

well i think when you TQ the **** out of it with your procedure you warped the pan and it may never seal? but try what these guys say then go and get the 1 piece FRPP oil pan gasket. It's about $40 but i can almost garentee it wont leak! If it does it's you not the gasket. I've had 2 so far one on my 302 and now one on my 351 plus have known a few others to have them with no problems!peace

john:p

when I tightened it I used very little torque especially since I saw that area not wanting to go into the locating dowel...found the problem though...Im kicking myself now because before I installed it I saw this but it just looked like a scratch...up above it at the top, away from that area the cover had a 1 inch hairline crack in it and it was oozing out of that and going down, giving the illusion it was coming from that corner but it wasnt.

As a temporary fix to get me to work etc I started to use jb weld but its near the corner and I didnt want to run a risk of not being able to get the timing cover off, so I squeezed a blob of ultra black rtv onto my finger and smoothed it over the spot and it hasnt leaked a drop since.

Looks like crap but who cares. It will get a new cover probably next weekend, as I dont care much for band aid fixes

By the way, would I be ok to just eliminate the locating dowels, as long as I get it lined up and sealed correctly?