oil pump locked up eeeeeeek

gt40_2003wes

I did sound a wee bit gay there.
Aug 14, 2005
ky
so my oil pump locked up on me the other day and this is what happened to the shaft that connects to the distributor...
oilpumpshaft.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

That is what happens when it isn't a hardened shaft....typically a hardened shaft snaps.

What caused the pump to lock up? Was this is a stock dist or MSD? What pump and shaft?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! It looks like a piece of licorice! Did your motor survive?

i drove it about a half mile before i realized what happened so i dunno just yet. but when we pulled the valve covers there was still oil on the rockers and when we pulled the dist there was still oil on the cam gear..gonna check the main bearings this weekend and make sure everything is alright there...hopefully it will survive.

yep i know i should have had a better pump but if something got hung in the pump i was screwed either way...i will post pics as i go hopefully all will turn out ok...if not im gonna call woody and maybe get into a dart 347 with about a 80mm+ turbo.

Had the exact same thing happen to my 90 a few years back.

After a new pump, the motor would rattle for a few seconds on a cold start, and for a loooooong time (like 30 seconds) on startup after an oil change. After about 2 years, it start being noisy when it would warm up too. That's when I built the motor that's in it now and yanked the old one.

The end is near!

lol i just wanna get it to the track a couple times and get my 10's NA on a 5 speed then i was gonna throw a 125-150 shot on it anyways...i have known since the day i bought the block that it was gonna break at some point...just hope this isn't it lol.

I have had this problem twice in the 90s and both where Melling pumps. I was going down the quarter mile when I noticed the 2nd time it happened. Fortunately I was lucky to not have any major problems. Maybe you will be as lucky as I.

dunno what caused the lock up...stock distributor and a auto zone pump.

Seriously an autozone pump in a 347?
That takes cheap or impatient to a whole new level.

Not trying to add insult to injury, but i'd never even consider buying something so crappy for such an important job so deep in the engine.

Seriously an autozone pump in a 347?
That takes cheap or impatient to a whole new level.

Not trying to add insult to injury, but i'd never even consider buying something so crappy for such an important job so deep in the engine.

it is what it is man...i should have had a better pump in it but i didn't...