Oil seperator on 2000 GT?

Wait til the first time you take it for a good drive, then check out how much oil would've been in your intake. It's great.. by far the most effective for cost mod I've done yet.

• Sponsors (?)

I can't see it being much of a bennefit. My engine burns no oil between oil changes, so why do this? It almost sounds like the traps are causing the oil to be drawn out of the engine. If you are driving weeks with just a small amount of oil being trapped, What's the point. It sounds like just something to do for the sake of doing something. I could see it on a blown car maybe where there's so much cylinder blowby, that the crankcase pressures get excessive. but for most of I think your time and money would be better spent elsewhere. :shrug:

The filter only sits between an already existing hose, coming from the valve cover to the intake plenum. It does nothing but filter the air passing through it. This air contains oil, which is meant to be burned (in small amounts) by entering the intake.

This prevents it from burning that oil. I guarantee your engine burns oil between changes. If you hook up one of these, you'll see just exactly how much it burns. It's minute, 2 or 3 spoonfuls maybe. It's not a "do it just for the sake of doing it" type mod, you can see the result, and it's better for the combustion process.

And it costs 10 bucks.

Black Stang 97 said:
ok, what do you do when its full?? do you empty it out or do you have to buy a new separator??

I just emptied mine for the first time last week. It was after about ~500 miles of driving, and the chamber was half full. I don't know the exact capacity of the chamber, but it looked like about 2 tablespoons or so. This is on my N/A '04, so it definately works. It has a valve on the bottom sort of like a tire valve stem. I'm in the process of thinking of a better way to empty it. What I did this time was cut a styrophome cup in half and wedge it under, then use a small screwdriver to hold the valve open while it drains.

here are some beter pics of my setup black stang 97

tools i used 14mm wrench and a flat head screw driver

the flow goes as follows from the PCV valve to the separator to the plenum
View attachment 498744
as you can see the first hose is put into the 90*bent rubber hose from the pcv valve and a clamp is placed there to secure the hose
View attachment 498746

then from the PCV you plug the other end to the separator the white arrows point the direction of flow the yellow one is pointing towards the little arrow in the separator which should be pointing the way i have drawn the white arrow there is where the other 2 clamps are placed to secure hoses you can buy a bracket to secure the separator in place as seen in this pic
View attachment 498748

then from the separator you plug the other hose there going towards the intake plenum and you should be done
View attachment 498749

03ghoststang, I think he installed it wrong. He put it on a couple weeks ago and has had no oil in it. But he ran a line from the thing coming outta the passenger side valve cover. Is that not the PCV? Where is the PCV located? It looks like it's on the backside of the motor, kinda like on the 5.0, but I can't tell from those pics.

CManT1914 said:
03ghoststang, I think he installed it wrong. He put it on a couple weeks ago and has had no oil in it. But he ran a line from the thing coming outta the passenger side valve cover. Is that not the PCV? Where is the PCV located? It looks like it's on the backside of the motor, kinda like on the 5.0, but I can't tell from those pics.

it on the passenger side valve cover

I know on my 01 the pvc is on the passenger side but I would not but it above ford to ahve the pvc on the opposite side for some other another years. I know the pvc nipple size on the plenum is different on different years.

rule of thumb the pvc will have alot of vaccum. so if you pull the hose from the valcover you should have noticable vaccum at idle.

I did this trying to chase down an oil smell in my exhaust. I am not sure if the smell is totally gone but it did help and there is a noticable amount of oil in the separator. Just because you can't see much missing on the dipstick does not mean there is no oil being burnt by the engine.

hognutz said:
I did this trying to chase down an oil smell in my exhaust. I am not sure if the smell is totally gone but it did help and there is a noticable amount of oil in the separator. Just because you can't see much missing on the dipstick does not mean there is no oil being burnt by the engine.

The canister on my stang is over 1/3 full. :eek: It fills up fast.