Ok im finally doing my gears. Lets make sure I have everything I need.

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Louisiana
Ok, Im going with some 3.73's and I just want to make sure I have everything. I wont be ordering them for a few weeks but if i have enough money by then ill also get some superior 28 spline axles.

This is what im getting so far:
Ford Racing 3.73's
http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=459
Install kit (we have non-IRS rear ends right?)
http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=463
Trac Lock rebuild kit
http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=464

And if money allowws Ill get superior 28 splines. I would get a 31 spline setup but I know money wont allow that right now. Then ill also get a better diff cover if i can. But Ill more than likely end up getting just the three things listed there + the oil. Am I missing anything?

• Sponsors (?)

What do you mean is that a trick question? There are kits for IRS rear ends and NON-IRS rears. It may be a dumb question but its a question. and Im not bringing it to a shop and paying them for parts too. They will take me to the cleaners. Its not alot of headache, its a few simple questions.

Im pretty sure IRS means independant rear.

And I think all Ill need to do besided this is see if the lube Im using requires a friction modifier. Anyone know if Royal Purple requires it?

All I could think of that you would need are some specialty tools, like a dial indicator so you can measure you back-lash and whatnot. A good torque wrench is a must when bolting-up the ring gear to the carrier, and for the carrier bolts. You'll need to have the pinnion bearing pressed-on by a shop (unless you have access to one). Might want to pick up some of that pasty stuff (not sure what its called) that you put on the contact face of the gears, to check for a proper contact area. Thats all that came to mind for now. Good luck

And yes, IRS means indepentant rear suspension, which we don't have.

All I could think of that you would need are some specialty tools, like a dial indicator so you can measure you back-lash and whatnot. A good torque wrench is a must when bolting-up the ring gear to the carrier, and for the carrier bolts. You'll need to have the pinnion bearing pressed-on by a shop (unless you have access to one). Might want to pick up some of that pasty stuff (not sure what its called) that you put on the contact face of the gears, to check for a proper contact area. Thats all that came to mind for now. Good luck

And yes, IRS means indepentant rear suspension, which we don't have.

Im getting someone else to do it for me, so they have all the tools. And I know we dont have IRS, I jsut wasnt sure what it stood for.

I would also buy a 2-pack of crush collars (called bearing spacers) from napa. That way if you over torque the pinion nut you can re-do it w/o having to go to the parts store.

If they are measuring both backlash and pinion depth, you should be just fine. Nothing to worry about then.
scott

And a speedometer gear made for the 3.73's, otherwise you'll think you're flying. And a twelve pack of beer to celebrate the torque difference between 2.73 and 3.73, LOLLOL.

And a speedometer gear made for the 3.73's, otherwise you'll think you're flying. And a twelve pack of beer to celebrate the torque difference between 2.73 and 3.73, LOLLOL.

The white 23 tooth right? And do i need to get anything lese to change this? Or can i reuse the retaining clip? Ill prolly get another one since they are only like $2.

Just a word of caution. A new speedo gear will not get you 100% accurate if you're going with anything higher than 3.55s. The white 23 tooth will correct up to a 3..5, so 3.73s or 4.10s will still be off.

Yea, I know it will be off some. But For now it will do. Ill get a speedcal later down the road. Can I use the speed cal with the 23 tooth or will I need to save my original one for the speedcal?

Get the new axle seals and a pinion seal..you might as well em replace while its apart..cheap money for all of em...If you see any signs of oil when you pull the axles then their on the way out anyway..never mind you can damage the rubber when pulling the axles out...

Get the new axle seals and a pinion seal..you might as well em replace while its apart..cheap money for all of em...If you see any signs of oil when you pull the axles then their on the way out anyway..never mind you can damage the rubber when pulling the axles out...

I was about to post the same and looked.....axle seals are definate while you have it apart and you may want to price the abs sensor your about to break....I paid $42.00 from Napa......:rlaugh:

I was about to post the same and looked.....axle seals are definate while you have it apart and you may want to price the abs sensor your about to break....I paid $42.00 from Napa......:rlaugh:

Thought I did a delete to my post as I seen he bought the install kit...I figured the seals would be in there??
10-4 on the freakin reluctors to..never have good luck with those myself...:bang: