OK, let the beatings begin...

usmcdcc

Jan 11, 2006
Andover, CT
I'll preface this with, I did look at the search results (for at least a whole 4 or 5 minutes) and was not able to find a piece of cake answer (Are they ever a piece of cake?):shrug:

Anyway, I am working with my brother (not often enough) to rebuild my 66 coupe. It currently has a 289 HIPO in it but based onthe condition the car was in when I got it, I have no idea how well the engine actually runs and what is going on inside.

My question is this: How big of an engine can i comfortably fit (aka, still able to change my plugs and not modify my shock towers) into the 66 bay? I am assuming I don't want to go above the 351. That being said, if the 289 HIPO is in decent shape, can I get more 'bang for my buck' if I put my cash in beefing that up or do I invest in a 351 and get the cubes now with the understanding that I can beef that up later?

I guess one 'fact' type question and one opinion question... either way, be gentle on the new guy.:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

351w is a pretty tight fit but it can be done. If you wanna spend a lil more $$ a 302 block fits good, and you can do what i did and add a stroker kit to it and make it a 347 for a lot of extra torque.

There are three different 289's, the C-code 289 which was a hydraulic lifter 2bbl, the A-code 289 which was a hydraulic lifter 4bbl and the K-code 289 which was a solid lifter 4bbl and was considered the 289 HIPO. Lots of people think that a C-code or A-code 289 with an aftermarket aluminum 4bbl intake and Holley 600 is a HIPO. I had a .060" over 289 with aluminum rods, 12.7:1 pistons, solid roller cam, '69 351w heads that had been ported and polished, roller rockers, Tunnel Ram with a pair of Holley 660's that took a 3000lb car to 11.08 @ 119mph. It made over 400hp, but it wasn't a HIPO even though it would outperform a 289 HIPO.

Now, if the 289 is in decent shape, get the rest of the car up to snuff and worry about the engine later. If it's not in decent shape (doesn't run, runs but sounds like it has a knock, no power, locked up, etc.) and it is an original HIPO, you could sell some of the parts for $$$ to build another engine. If it's not an original HIPO then you might be able to use it as a base for building a new engine. I wouldn't go with a 351w, build a stroker 331 or 347, they're cheap enough as you don't already have any 351w stuff now.

1320stang said:
Now, if the 289 is in decent shape, get the rest of the car up to snuff and worry about the engine later. If it's not in decent shape (doesn't run, runs but sounds like it has a knock, no power, locked up, etc.) and it is an original HIPO, you could sell some of the parts for $$$ to build another engine. If it's not an original HIPO then you might be able to use it as a base for building a new engine. I wouldn't go with a 351w, build a stroker 331 or 347, they're cheap enough as you don't already have any 351w stuff now.

Well, I know the stamp on the bottom of the engine is C5AE 6051E wich is a 289 HIPO block... other than that I don't know.

usmcdcc said:
Well, I know the stamp on the bottom of the engine is C5AE 6051E wich is a 289 HIPO block... other than that I don't know.
Same as mine and it's a C-code :lol: 289 HIPO blocks ARE NOT SPECIAL! They are VIN-stamped, THAT makes them SPECIAL. NO PRODUCTION DIFFERENCES! Obviously you dont know...

Well, 5.0ina66 was a little harsh, but he is correct. And if it's been rebuilt, it could have a 302 crank, rods and pistons in it which would make it a 302.

Someone on here has a site you can look at part numbers to confirm a genuine HIPO, or can ask you a few questions to confirm without digging into the engine. I remember the balance is specific to teh HIPO, thicker than a regular 289 I think, but a regular balancer may work with a HIPO, I don't know. The heads are specific, bowls are machined and the valve spring pockets are different.

Does the engine run now? If it does, I take care of other stuff and redo it or stroke it over the winter or a winter.

Just to add to the confusion, there is always the option of stroking the 351W block and getting into the range of 400 ci. No replacement for....

Sounds to me like the current engine is a modified 289, which is fine. I agree with the others. Get the rest of the car sorted out before heading to the dark side of "more power".

Thanks everyone... sounds like I have my answer. i appreciate all the feedback, even 5.0ina66. Although it does take a special guy to give someone poop after they admit they know nothing, I appreciate the reply. Now go back to the t-ball game at the field down the corner and make fun of the kids for how they throw and catch.:nono:

usmcdcc said:
5.0ina66. Although it does take a special guy to give someone poop after they admit they know nothing, I appreciate the reply. Now go back to the t-ball game at the field down the corner and make fun of the kids for how they throw and catch.:nono:
:D Soooo soorrry...you did after all seem pretty damn sure it was a hipo. If you didnt know "nothing" it sure didnt seem to show. I bet you were the kid at the tball games to make a crack like that :nonono:

Well, based on the code on the bottom it was easy to do a simple google search and identify as a HIPO C5AE 6015E. Any tool can do that... just like anyone can try the search functionality on this site. But in order to really understand what is being said and get good feed back why... now that is why I asked the question.

usmcdcc said:
Thanks everyone... sounds like I have my answer. i appreciate all the feedback, even 5.0ina66. Although it does take a special guy to give someone poop after they admit they know nothing, I appreciate the reply. Now go back to the t-ball game at the field down the corner and make fun of the kids for how they throw and catch.:nono:

He must have woken up on the wrong side of his bunk bed, I'm sure he'll be nicer after a fruit snack or some pudding.

To me it sounds like what you have is a car that you want to have some fun with that is not a original Hipo car or GT etc.

My 2 cents goes along with what 1320stang said (he knows Mustangs) and I speak from a little bit of experience. I had a C-code coupe and stuck with a proven formula. Take a late model roller block, 87-93 5.0 or 302 in classic speak and stroke it to a 331 or a 347, in my case I did a 347 and it has more than enough power to trump 90% of the cars I run into on the street and it put down some nice numbers at the strip as well.

Sounds like your on the right track doing the 9", just keep working your way up to the motor, beef up the trans, go through the suspension and make sure your drive shaft is up to snuff.

While a 351W stroker build has crossed my mind a few times (no replacement for displacement) I have found that a careful well thought out build on a 302 based block will net excellent results and fitment is definitley easier.

Hope this helps and good luck and welcome.