OK......most narrow tire on a 10" rim?

ScortLX

Founding Member
Mar 20, 2001
Parker, Colorado
Hello everyone. I have searched the forums and I still really haven't found the answer to my question. I'm looking at 18X9 and 18X10 rims for the spring. Issue is, I don't have $1200 for tires and I don't want Sumitomos. Looking at the BFG site, 275's are recommended for rims between 9-11 inches wide on the G-Force Sports. I know everyone else runs 295's but why would I run the 295's (besides the visual difference) if the rim width is right in the middle of the recommended range at 275? :shrug: If I combo 255 and 275's I can afford it. If I go to 265/295 I have to go to other tires and can't afford it (at least I'm almost POSITIVE). I'm just trying to figure out why I can't run the 255/275 combo when the rim widths are in the recommended ranges. Any help would be great! Thanks everybody! I know...its a stupid question but why do they have the rim width recommendations if they won't fit? :shrug:

P.S. It even has the section width for each of the two sizes (255/275) with them on a 9" and 10" rim, respectively.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs/g-force-sport/2964.html

• Sponsors (?)

Ok so let me get this straight...you are getting bigger wheels but want smaller tires... You do realize this will kill performance and handling, as well as not protecting the wheels with enough rubber. Just save your money and do it RIGHT by getting good rubber - don't skimp on tires.

I have stock 17X8's with 245's all around right now. I'm just asking why everyone says you HAVE to go 265/295 with the tire/rim combination. I'm trying to find someone who can answer it with a straight answer. I know it may not look the absolute best, but 255's and 275's will fit that combination as far as the info I have. I will try to save up the extra. My point is there is a $300 difference between the two combos and I was just looking for a lower cost option. :nice: I appreciate all answers on the topic. I'll probably end up going with the BFG KDW 2's all round. That combo will be $1250 instead of G-Force sports which would be $950. Just looking to see how feasible the smaller option is. Thanks for everyones input. :)

Simple solution to this is to NOT get 18s. A 17 inch rim doesnt look THAT much different in person, however you will notice a BIG price jump once you go 18. I have 18x10 out back with a 295 tire and I still think that is too narrow of a tire.

If I could do it over again, Id opt for 17s..... your wallet will thank you.
Whatever you decide, Id strongly suggest not doing anything LESS than 295

Thanks FivePoint, I understand what you are saying. My problem is that no one makes a 17X10 deep dish rim. I don't what to have to buy 305's or 315 17" rear tires to fit the 10.5" deep dish 17's that there are out there. I also think that the 18X9 and 18X10 combo looks amazing on our cars. My wallet definitely would like me more with the 17's and I am contemplating that right now. I guess we are talking several hundered dollars between the 17" and 18" tire options. Now I have to figure out if it is worth the extra $$$ for the 18's. Thanks!

275/35 18 on a 18x10 saleen

mn6.jpg

Attachments

• mn6.jpg
    mn6.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 365