Ok So one more question related to my mustang and its TRansmission.

D-BOI

Mar 26, 2009
Metro Detro
Hey guys, ive posted a thread here before in regards to my tranny acting up on me and by that i mean that its really tough for me to put the car in gear even with the clutch pedal pressed all the way down, and when i shift semi fast it grinds thru all the gears. I talked to somone today and they said that the clutch was not engaging all the way due to my having a stock cable that isnt adjustable, so i thought id get an adjustable kit and see if it will make some difference. I dont have the slightest clue on how to install or adjust the dang thing but i found one on ebay from steeda for 95 bucks shipped and a cheapo one from AM for 99 bucks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and thank you all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-0...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2366wt_941

Mustang Clutch Adjuster Kit (96-04) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

• Sponsors (?)

clutch cables are crazy easy to install...put your car in the air and remove the little box covering your clutch fork on the tranny..you'll see yor cable running into it.. it's only held on by one bolt..once removed you'll see the other littlw clip holding the cable on there...remove that....i think there is one more thing holding th cable on but i cant remember off the top of my head...once you see how its in there you'll be like oh, thats easy

after that, buy a new, NON adjustable cable....the adj. cables will bind up after a while and cause you not to be able to put your car in gear or shift at high revs...try the search button on this...you'll see where many people had to switch from an adj cable back to the stock one to get the car back to normal...i had to mysel as well..

im not an expert on trannys but maybe check your fork as well to see if maybe thats causeing it to not engage.. but trust me, stock cable with firewall adj > adj cable... hope this helps you at least a little bit

hey night shifter thanks for the response, yes i definitely am doing my research and found that more than enough people have had their aftermarket cables snap on them, the one AM sells however has good reviews but its only because people reviewing them had just put them on.

Now i doubt my stock cable is really in need of replacement but i definitely think my clutch is not getting engaged even after getting pressed all the way down, (hence the difficulty of me trying to shift).

So should i just get a new quad and firewall adjuster,(will the FWA alone give me enough adjustment to see a diff?

thanks for the response again man, im just sick and tired of driving the mustang and having it feel like a Russian Zil military truck lol. Its tuff as heck to put it in gear it wont grind or nothing under normal driving just really hard.

yeah the firewall adj with the quadrant will be enough to adjust your clutch anywhere you want it...with the firewall adjuster i dont see why anyone would need to have the adjustments on the cable as well...just me, but mine can be adjusted anywhere to my liking without the adj cable :shrug:

hopefull its just your cable going out on you...trust me, i know the military truck feeling lol...id check the fork as well though...at least youll have a new cable as well...if that doesnt fix it then it could be a bad/slipped clutch fork ot your TOB possibly taking a dump

sound like its the cable binding though..mine had similar symptoms...i had to really give it effort to put it in any gear, reverse was impossible, couldnt shift into another gear above 2800 rpms, and the clutch pedal felt heavy as hell...swapped back to my stock cable, no problems since...i hope that its just the cable for you....worse case scenario your tranny is taking a dump and thats just an excuse or a t-56 :nice:

so should i still buy a new oem cable and then a steeda quad and FWA, or can i just keep the stock cable i have on it now, it only has like 84k on it. If this doesnt help at all then its time for a new clutch kit and t45 rebuild, and heck id love to have a t56 but too much moneys for me right now, id rather buy a blower.

Im pretty sure you can get that kit with a non adj. MM cable

look into ford racing as well...they sell a stock cable with clutch fork together as a kit for 44.99 i think..or maybe its 49. then just get the steeda FWA and Quadrant

i think you should def go for a new cable though

the ford racing cable is actually adjustable, ive been searching and searching and pretty much people have had steeda FRPP and everything else snap on them besides the OEM and the Maximum Motorsports one.(edit: the oem is the one MM sells).

M-7553-E302 is the part number for the oem non adj. ford racing cable

but id stick with MM as well...havnt heard of any problems with that peice.. and i was wrong about to cable and fork...turn out thats only for the 79-93 cars

M-7553-E302 is the part number for the ford racing fork 21.99 @ brothers

cool thanks man, yea i dont really feel like spending 150 bucks on the mm deal though especially when i drive this car less than 3k miles a year, im just going to go with a ford racing non adjustable cable and a FWA from American Muscle or MM, hopefully this setup will work without needing a quadrant.

i think you'll be ok without the quadrant...i hope this fixes your problem

FWIW, yesterday i was playing around with my quadrant and fwa and when i accidentally moved the cable in an incorrect spot in the engine bay, it cause me to not be able to put my car in gear at any adjustment... and if i had the cable on the 2nd fork of my quadrant, if i had the clutch adjusted too far in or out i couldnt get it into gear..

im almost betting its your cable

lol, man i should just go and buy a dang cable from auto zone and call it a day(literally a day with AZ parts), the cable has 84k on it, but ive heard that they last a lot longer, but could be my garbage spec 1 clutch as well, but cable does sound like the culprit in my car. but these darn oem ones are so expensive its crazy, and as far as the quadrant goes its just a quadrant they should all do the same thing

couldnt hurt...give it a shot.. if it doesnt fix the problem then you know its soimething else...at least you'll get a new cable out of the deal...

throw the stock one in the spare tire well as a back up just in case something goes wrong with the new one....thats where my steeda one is hiding lol...id almost send you my steeda one but id hate to send someone a cable that i already had a problem with ya know

Get in your car grab the clutch pedal and pull it back towards the seat.

Done.

Stock Mustang clutches are adjustable, wasting money on a car that gets 3k miles on it a year is silly.

i grabbed the pedal with my toe and pulled back but i didnt hear a clickor anything

make sure the car is in nuetral, you might have to pull it back with your hand, but it will do it. also on the mm kit, i had it for my old fox, and while the price is a little steeper, you cant beat the quality. like others said, the other cables will infact snap at some point, so do you really want to have to worry about that? let alone buy another cable and having to install it again.

Yea i know exactly what you mean, after doing a whole lot of research for a oouple of days i think the mm kit is definitely the way to go for an extra 40 bucks over the steeda. This is definitely one of those deals where you cannot cheap out on, i would hate to get stranded somewhere or at a car show and have to pay a 200 dollar tow bill, or get stuck in traffic, phewwww no way man.