ok so this is my S/C plan....

Jspronk

Aug 9, 2007
Pipestone, Mn
I am planning on purchasing a whipple s/c H.O. from lethal performance. I will probably take the FRPP tune but get a custom dyno tune from a local shop around here. I am planning on getting a larger pulley to bring the psi to only 8lbs. I hope to get atleast 400rwhp to 450rwhp...I've heard you really don't wanna get anymore with stock internals. A questions that keeps haunting me is the transmission problem....do I need to add any parts to this transmission to keep it alive or will a conservative tune do the trick? Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

If you have a 5speed more power will mean less clutch life simple as that. That said clutch life should be decent with a stock boost supercharger kit. One Ford Racing ad claimed that their S/C kit was tested at the dragrstrip repeatedly with no failures in 100 passes.

If you have an auto there shouldn't be problems.

well I do know someone locally that lost his automatic trasnsmission at 440 rwhp. A lot will depend on your driving habits. There are no guarantees, even with built motors, transmissions, rearends etc.

Upgrades to the tranny comes with the power. But it also depends on what you are doing. If you are not driving stop light to stop light like a bat out of hell, and your car see's track duty every now and again, then the stock clutch will hold up for a bit.

Otherwise......well its upgrade time.

Nice choice for the S/C !
I bought mine 1 year ago from Lethalperformance : made about 11 k miles , with any weather and it is running fine ;
i upgraded the clutch after 1 month : 520 hp at the crank ... :nice: and then upgraded - see sig -

i also make some road racing with the stang , and the car is fantastic !

Merry Xmas from Italy

Steel

I have a manual 5 speed .
No issues with the centerforce clutch : at first the pedal was a bit hard , but using it it became good for me , or just i got accustomed to it .
when I have the A/C engaged the clutch satellites make a little vibration , just like the ducati bike clutch .
I'm very happy with the setup .
I don't think I'll need to upgrade the differential or else , the car is ok .
If i would change something, it would be the BMR stuff, a little squeaky in parking .

Steel

I am planning on purchasing a whipple s/c H.O. from lethal performance. I will probably take the FRPP tune but get a custom dyno tune from a local shop around here. I am planning on getting a larger pulley to bring the psi to only 8lbs. I hope to get atleast 400rwhp to 450rwhp...I've heard you really don't wanna get anymore with stock internals. A questions that keeps haunting me is the transmission problem....do I need to add any parts to this transmission to keep it alive or will a conservative tune do the trick? Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks guys

That sounds like a very good plan. Single digit boost is the way to keep your engine and driveline reliable IMHO. Auto trans should be tuned as well. I know that the FRPP people brag about their ability to tune the autos in the catalog, but then only recommend the 400 hp kit for an auto...that would make me a little nervous. I would look to tuners who race the stock autos w/FI (JDM, etc...) Also consider dual driveshaft loops for safety, esp if you want to try sticky tires.

Well I certainly hope so. It would suck to blow my transmission. I've just heard things bout the auto giving up with that much more horse.

The first thing that "usually" goes with these transmissions is the stock torque converter. A couple years ago when my trans was still completely stock, the converter would lock, then unlock on the big end. If it does it on the dyno it will be clear as day, your dyno graph will look like a mountain peak probably above 5500 rpm.

At 400 rwhp, I think the rest of the trans should be fine.

how what about a transmission temperature gauge so I can regulate the temp and if it gets too hot I can back down a bit....how hard would that be to install myself btw?

This is actually pretty important at the track with an auto. I have noticed that my car will hit the rev limiter from 1st to 2nd if I race with the transmission cold. Ideally your trans temp should be around 160 when you make a pass.

I installed some aeroforce interceptor gauges, install was very simple as they plug into your OBDII port like your tuner does. I have mine set to 4 parameters, knock sensor, trans temp, coolant temp, and intake air temp. I also have a boost gauge and wideband.

Gaugesetup.jpg

Attachments

• Gaugesetup.jpg
    Gaugesetup.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 54
so your running a auto tranny with a whipple? Have ya done any major mods to the tranny to make it live (I think you noted that but I"m not sure)? Would ya recommend I replace the stock torque converter? Again I'm not trying to kill my mustang, I just want to make it a little more "fun" ha ha.

Well part of that will depend on how you plan on driving the car.

But at 400 rwhp the stock trans will be fine---and the first sign of trouble would be the stock converter locking / unlocking. I ran my stock t/c for almost a year on N20 before that started happening.

I would definitely upgrade the converter once you approach 500 rwhp however. And when you get to 600 rwhp, you will need the transmission beefed up. I had Tony at Larry's Transmission, Corona CA do mine as he also owns an 05 S197 and knows these transmissions pretty good.

k well with this whipple though we'll see....the HO kit claims 550 hp...not sure if thats at the crank or the wheels...but I'm going on the safe side and getting a larger pulley, 3.625 to be exact. I'm hoping that will put out around 8-9 psi (although I've heard people say they still get 10 psi). With a conservative tune, how much rwhp will I get out of the thing? Will that hit the 400 rwhp mark?

k well with this whipple though we'll see....the HO kit claims 550 hp...not sure if thats at the crank or the wheels...but I'm going on the safe side and getting a larger pulley, 3.625 to be exact. I'm hoping that will put out around 8-9 psi (although I've heard people say they still get 10 psi). With a conservative tune, how much rwhp will I get out of the thing? Will that hit the 400 rwhp mark?

I have the first version, the standard 2.3, and with that I was at 474 rwhp when I was running 12psi--so you should have no problem hitting 400 rwhp with the GEN II @ 10 psi. Just make sure your tune is conservative, and always run good gas.

i have a whipple HO w/ the 3.5 pulley making 10 psi and have 462 rwhp/432 tq.
also have a street tune w/ 432 rwhp/389 tq.
also have a race tune that is untested.
so it's all in the tune and the bigger pulley