Ok to lower car by x brace?

DaveB

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
Middlesex and Pomona, NJ
Right now I have my 94 GT on 4 jackstands. I used 2 small jacks to get it up there, but I was wondering if anyone had lowered it using the convertible x brace? I have a big pump jack that I used to jack up the rear, but haven't tried this yet. Anyone? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

not familiar with the vert xbrace but u can use the K member, as long as your car isnt lowered yet. if its lowered then you might have troubles getting the jack outta there

Yea, I have to jack my car up to jack it up. :rlaugh:

I have to pick the side up like an inch the I can fit the floor jack under the k-member.

I think I remember hearing that its ok to jack it up there though. But dont take my word for it.

yes it will get stuck, and I dont think they make a jack to get under 2.5" under the xbrace you can use it to jack it up and lower it, I ve done it a couple times when I had to get the car 3ft off the ground.
DSC01401.jpg

And heres how low it is.

DSC02638.jpg

WOW, I would never put my jackstands on anything liek that to get more height...

With that being said, do the same thing for the jack. Build it up a bit and use the K-mamber to lower it, then wehen you are on your final drop to the ground lower the car onto a couple pieces of wood.. (front and rear) so you can get the jack out after...

If all of this seems like a lot of work you can always "cow tip" it by putting your shoulder into the fender... That'll get it down quickly...

yes it will get stuck, and I dont think they make a jack to get under 2.5" under the xbrace you can use it to jack it up and lower it, I ve done it a couple times when I had to get the car 3ft off the ground.
DSC01401.jpg

And heres how low it is.

DSC02638.jpg

Wow i dont know about everyone else. But that definetly does not look safe to me. I would want to be nowhere near the underside of that stang. lol

all those 4x4s were bolted together and bolted to the jackstands and the jack stands are 12 ton jackstands.

And its rarely ever that high thats when I did my exhuast.

Oh AND WHEN EVER I PUT MY CAR UP ON JACKSTANDS I ALWAYS PUSH THE CAR SIDE TO SIDE WITH ALL MY WEIGHT AND MAKE SURE IT WON'T BUDGE. :D

I know it is not what was asked but better you than me. The jackstands are intened to have a certain height to width ratio with the feet being designed to level everything out (the way it will dig into an asphalt driveway)...

I have never gotten my car that high for any reason (mostly safety) and I have done the exhaust (numerous itterations), rear end work, all of the rbakes (including the cobra reas), the poly bushings, front a-arms, the clutch, the rear main seal, and some other stuff...

Heck I won't even let other people near the car when it is on jackstands whether I am under it or not...

all those 4x4s were bolted together and bolted to the jackstands and the jack stands are 12 ton jackstands.

And its rarely ever that high thats when I did my exhuast.

Oh AND WHEN EVER I PUT MY CAR UP ON JACKSTANDS I ALWAYS PUSH THE CAR SIDE TO SIDE WITH ALL MY WEIGHT AND MAKE SURE IT WON'T BUDGE. :D

Wow, with my car lowered I cannot find a safe way to jack-up all 4 corners, even with a super-low profile jack. It just barely fits under the K-member with the car level. I don't think you'll ever find a way to fit a jack under the x-brace, its ridiculously low to the ground, I never measured it but it looks like maye 2.5" ground clearance there. And I've had that x-brace off before to do headers, and I don't know if I would trust it to hold the weight of the front-end, I could flex it with my own weight (185lbs) by standing on it.
For what its worth, I've unbolted and re-installed my entire exhaust system (headers flange to tail pipes) by just having the rear jacked-up about 2'. There's no need to risk our lives working under our cars.

I have always hated doing anything under my car, which is exactly why if I need to do anything under my car I just put it on the lift at work. Makes life so much easier and much easier on the mind. Even when I have to change my oil, I just put a 6 quart oil pan under the car and crawl under and just let it drain.