Old Ford Owner...New to Mustang

ramnj

Nov 27, 2009
NJ
First, I have owned Ford vehicles for the last 20 years, mainly SUV's and trucks.

Today I test drove the Mustang and have mixed feelings.

The first one I test drove was a GT Premium with automatic transmission and have to say I was totally dissappointed with the performance, specifically the acceleration off the line.

The second one was a GT Premium with a 5-speed trans and the Track-Pack and must say I was impressed. The difference between the two vehicles was night and day.

I really want to get the automatic GT Premium but would like the feel of the 5-speed with the Track-Pack. I drive an 18-wheeler everyday and would like to drive automatic at the end of the day on my way home.

What are you guys that are buying the Mustang with the automatic transmission doing to awake it? Any recommendations?

Thanks for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

Did you notice what gears each car had? I'm going to make the assumption the 5-speed with the track pack had 3.73 which would be the reason for the seat of the pants difference.

Most auto owners will put in gears (3.73-4.10) and a higher stall if they want that off the line feel.

Did you notice what gears each car had? I'm going to make the assumption the 5-speed with the track pack had 3.73 which would be the reason for the seat of the pants difference.

Most auto owners will put in gears (3.73-4.10) and a higher stall if they want that off the line feel.

Not sure what gearing is on the automatic, but the 5-speed has the 3.73 gearing.

You will love the auto with some real gears ( 4.10 plus) and a stall converter.. ( nothing under 3600 or so on those cars) plus you should get a tuner to get rid of the torque reduction thats built into the tune.

BTW if you can wait I would because soon you will be able to get it with the new motor and I am sure you will like the auto a lot better then

Muscle Mustangs tested the stick & the auto & found only a few 10ths difference in the quarter.
I drive this car every day, year round, and a 5-speed w/a cam & a centerforce clutch as I had in my 2previous Mustangs is not enjoyable in Rt 95 bumper-to-bumper traffic.
These autos are electronic & easily tuned.
This is my FIRST Ford auto since my old C-4 Capri & I'm happy w/it---as to gears---the difference between 355s & 373s is miniscule and certainly not seat-of-the-pants detectable.

I went the other way and have a 5 sp 08 Bullitt. I don't drive in traffic much, except to get in the gate to work. Mine has 373 gears, and definitely accelarates. The gears make quite a difference. I pobably would like the auto just as much for every day driving.