OMG WTF HAPPEND HERE!!!!

65ShelbyClone said:
I'l admit upfront that I'm in the crowd that values nice original examples staying nice original examples. However, every rule has exceptions. I don't know anything about that blue car or the person who built it, but I can think of several reasons to chop up a classic car. Suppose the floor and cowl was rotted out. How many smallblock notchbacks are worth restoring when half the car would be patch panels? Suppose the original got the front end wiped off in a crash. Suppose it was a clean car, but just a rolling shell that needed everything but sheetmetal.

I didn't hear anyone dogging on the '70 fastback that only had the body and part of the frame as original parts. No one seems to bitch about the SN65 which is a '65 fastback on an '03 Cobra chassis. The only idfference between any of them is that the blue car is a less valuable notchback and isn't as pretty. Hmm.....form over function, isn't that a ricer thing?

Just food for thought.

I agree here 100% - good thoughts.

• Sponsors (?)

Just because it is a race car doesn't mean it has to be ugly. That car is hideous... Why couldn't he have started with some PIECE if he was going to butcher it like that. Those german touring car flares look nothing like that crap he put on his car. They look like they took about a half an hour a piece, because they probably did. Oh, and those vintage road racers don't even look close to his car. Those cars look nearly stock minus a couple of sponsor's stickers. What I am trying to say is that he could have made a tasteful race car but instead he butchered the car to the point where it is unsalvageable. I restore these cars and it would be WAAAAY more work for me to properly restore a car to original than to chop it up like him. It is obvious that there was no time spent on that body. Someone said that he did this under a carport with almost no tools, and it is clearly evident.He might have a killer suspension and engine in it but it is still ugly. No worries though, it makes me feel even better that his first failed attempt had no price, he just ruined a fastback, thats all. If his coupe looks like this, and he is keeping it, I don't want to know what the fastback looks like that he sold. The real question is, why would you post pictures of this on the internet, I would be ashamed. Oh well, it seems the general consensus is GO PRESTON, KEEP CHOPPIN' THOSE CLASSIC STANGS UP IN THE NAME OF....ughhh, UNIQUENESS! I don't want to be alone either, so I'll have to say that it is a piece of "art", and that I wish my car was just like his...

Please don't feed the trolls.

Stanger'66 said:
Just because it is a race car doesn't mean it has to be ugly. That car is hideous... Why couldn't he have started with some PIECE if he was going to butcher it like that. Those german touring car flares look nothing like that crap he put on his car. They look like they took about a half an hour a piece, because they probably did. Oh, and those vintage road racers don't even look close to his car. Those cars look nearly stock minus a couple of sponsor's stickers. What I am trying to say is that he could have made a tasteful race car but instead he butchered the car to the point where it is unsalvageable. I restore these cars and it would be WAAAAY more work for me to properly restore a car to original than to chop it up like him. It is obvious that there was no time spent on that body. Someone said that he did this under a carport with almost no tools, and it is clearly evident.He might have a killer suspension and engine in it but it is still ugly. No worries though, it makes me feel even better that his first failed attempt had no price, he just ruined a fastback, thats all. If his coupe looks like this, and he is keeping it, I don't want to know what the fastback looks like that he sold. The real question is, why would you post pictures of this on the internet, I would be ashamed. Oh well, it seems the general consensus is GO PRESTON, KEEP CHOPPIN' THOSE CLASSIC STANGS UP IN THE NAME OF....ughhh, UNIQUENESS! I don't want to be alone either, so I'll have to say that it is a piece of "art", and that I wish my car was just like his...

Stanger'66 said:

ohhh, sounds like somebody's bleeding....

Funny to read the crap from a bunch of guys that think 2v-289 w/ stock suspension is all anyone needs to drive. When I bought my 66 'vert in '79, there just wasn't ANYBODY around doing much for performance, so I played with what I could.

Cars are built to be DRIVEN!!! Better engine, suspension, tires, brakes...only adds to the experience. I just regret that I don't have enough time and $$ to build AND drive all that I'd like.

I will be looking for the "don't you dare" police to come and arrest me: the 800hp blown engine goes in soon...and, for what it's worth, I'd rather the front NOT have the appearance impacted by the huge intercooler...but performance comes first.

Also: feeling stout? Go over to corner-carvers.com and post your opinions...they will be warmly received ;) !

mtbdoc said:
Funny to read the crap from a bunch of guys that think 2v-289 w/ stock suspension is all anyone needs to drive. When I bought my 66 'vert in '79, there just wasn't ANYBODY around doing much for performance, so I played with what I could.

Cars are built to be DRIVEN!!! Better engine, suspension, tires, brakes...only adds to the experience. I just regret that I don't have enough time and $$ to build AND drive all that I'd like.

I will be looking for the "don't you dare" police to come and arrest me: the 800hp blown engine goes in soon...and, for what it's worth, I'd rather the front NOT have the appearance impacted by the huge intercooler...but performance comes first.

Also: feeling stout? Go over to corner-carvers.com and post your opinions...they will be warmly received ;) !

First of all I have no Problems with upgrades to the Drive Train Its the look that i get mad about...
second I belive you didnt buy a mustang just to upgrade the body and make it aro dinamic did you?

Also: feeling stout? Go over to corner-carvers.com and post your opinions...they will be warmly received !

Why would I want to go talk to a wall when I can do that here... I have no problem with suspension/drivetrain upgrades, or even some custom modifications, but keep it tasteful. That car didn't bother me any more than any other, I see rednecks do that kind of stuff all the time. I just thought that this board had better discretion than to applaud that level of workmanship...(not mechanical workmanship but body)

Edit: I don't want to argue about it with you guys. I just had to vent. Negative return comments aren't needed as I probably won't return to read them.

Funny to read the crap from a bunch of guys that think 2v-289 w/ stock suspension is all anyone needs to drive.
Too bad I am modifying my '66.

Stanger'66 said:
Why would I want to go talk to a wall when I can do that here... I have no problem with suspension/drivetrain upgrades, or even some custom modifications, but keep it tasteful. That car didn't bother me any more than any other, I see rednecks do that kind of stuff all the time. I just thought that this board had better discretion than to applaud that level of workmanship...(not mechanical workmanship but body)

Edit: I don't want to argue about it with you guys. I just had to vent. Negative return comments aren't needed as I probably won't return to read them.

Funny to read the crap from a bunch of guys that think 2v-289 w/ stock suspension is all anyone needs to drive.

well this car is a race care that just happens to get driven on the street, so the body mods are quite necessary. if this was just a street car trying to be a race car then i would probably have a different opinion of it. i personally don't like big ass fender flares on cars that are imitating a race car, small flares like what would be found on vintage ta cars are acceptable though, however in this case the car truly is a race car that is living on the street so the the flares are acceptable in this case. but i agree if this was a regular 289 2v i would have a totally different opinion. this time that is not the case

Stanger'66 said:

I think for the most part those who are applauding him think the engineering far outweighs it looking a little bodgy, so overlook it. Most production-based race cars look like hack jobs in the looks department, when you have a close look at them, compared to a production car, because if it needs a hole right there to make it faster than everyone else, or technically legal for the race rules, then it's going to get a hole right there.

I think some of these new guys here need to get a grip and actually see the process that this car was built. Someone post the link to the pictures. The work that went into that car is absolutely crazy. Its not even really a mustang to be honest, its a racecar with a mustang body. How do you come in here with 3 posts and start preaching about someone elses preferences.

here- is a little bit of and idea http://www.carter-engineering.com/images/preston/FrontTurbosWithTires.jpg

Put me on the list of people that like the car. I watched it get built over on CC.com and it is a work of art. I wish I could build a car like that, I hope to someday. I learned a lot from Preston, he is a master fabricator. I bet it's fun to drive!

John

I think some people watch too much TV. I know they are an hour show, but do you think that maybe it takes weeks or even months to finish some pieces on the cars/bikes. Jesse James makes sheet metal fab look easy, but how many hour has he spent hammering on stuff only to through it away and start over.
For some people beauty is only skin deep, and if that is you, you'll hate that car. If you see past the flares, you'll see a beautiful work of art and engineering. It was never intended to be a show piece. It was made to outrun most any car it encounters. I say he accomplished that.
Oh. and when did 67-68 coupe become hard to find? Should I stop changing things on mine? I thought that was one of the cheapest, most plentiful Mustang bodies around. That is why I'm not worried about cutting on it.

How do you come in here with 3 posts and start preaching about someone elses preferences.
As much as people like to believe it, posts do not make someone more knowledgable than another. I periodically drop in on the board to read various posts just because my interest is classic Mustangs. I actually purchased my 66 on this site 6 months ago, so I am not new to the site. Actually seeing the suspension/drivetrain modification helped me gain respect for it, but I still feel like maybe a different car may have been a better choice, but hey, I guess I should lighten up, its his car.
I think some people watch too much TV. I know they are an hour show, but do you think that maybe it takes weeks or even months to finish some pieces on the cars/bikes. Jesse James makes sheet metal fab look easy, but how many hour has he spent hammering on stuff only to through it away and start over.
I am not trying to call you out, but I definitely believe that I have done more metalwork than you have done or care to hear about. That is why I was disgusted to see you guys applaud his body mods. I have been doing metal/custom work for over four years now, and I am only 17. I have been heavily involved in the building of a '64 427 Thunderbolt clone Fairlane, a chopped Model A street rod, and a '49 Ford custom. I did ALL of the metal work on these cars and about 50% of the bodywork. In other words, I completely realize how much work is involved in shaping metal and I am used to spending hours on panels that end up in the trash. In all of this I have failed to mention all of the metal work done on the '66. I have replaced a quarter, two lower quarters, an outer wheelhouse, two lower front fenders(with supports), and miscellaneous other smaller patches. I have spent all evenings and weekends welding/hammering/stripping paint for the last six months so I know what it takes to make a show winner. My life is basically dedicated to two things right now, cars and my education.
I wouldn't have jumped this deep into my '66 if I didn't know what I was doing...
66mustang3kp.th.jpg

I hadn't seen the suspension or drivetrain of Preston's car until now, and I appluad what has been done beneath the body. It really is amazing. I still say that he could have spent more time on the body, but if he doesn't care, then I guess thats all that matters. Argument over.

Attachments

• 66mustang3kp.th.jpg
    66mustang3kp.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 64
Stanger'66 said:
As much as people like to believe it, posts do not make someone more knowledgable than another. I periodically drop in on the board to read various posts just because my interest is classic Mustangs. I actually purchased my 66 on this site 6 months ago, so I am not new to the site. Actually seeing the suspension/drivetrain modification helped me gain respect for it, but I still feel like maybe a different car may have been a better choice, but hey, I guess I should lighten up, its his car.
I hadn't seen the suspension or drivetrain of Preston's car until now, and I appluad what has been done beneath the body. It really is amazing. I still say that he could have spent more time on the body, but if he doesn't care, then I guess thats all that matters. Argument over.

Yeah well i was just trying to point that out to you as most of the guys here. My friend kevin hated that car before he started putting some work into his too. Then he realized how sick prestons car is. Thats why when i saw your post count and your comments it made me feel like you were uneducated about the car, sorry about that. Im glad posting that picture helped your perspective and in a few months you may be like the rest of who praise him.

Stanger'66 said:
.....I definitely believe that I have done more metalwork than you have done or care to hear about...... I have been doing metal/custom work for over four years now, and I am only 17.

Ahh, 17 and you know it all. How do you know you've done more metalwork than him? Lets see some of these 'restored' cars you've done? I'm particularly interested in the T-bolt clone as I'm building a NSS legal '63 Fairlane that will look similar to a Pre-bolt clone.

How much bondo (if any) do you typically use. I'm not saying that you can't do the work that comes out of Marcel DeLay's shop, but the likelyhood is very small. What do you charge per hour? I suppose you also can't stand the SN65 car (which is on the cover of the August edition of Hot Rod and incidently won the ISCA Detroit Autorama 2006 Outstanding Engineered Award).

I think I can speak for a majority of the people here that say we probably don't care for the look of Preston's car, but as someone said, form follows function in this car's case. If you'd care to photoshop something that would cover those huge front tires that we could all agree upon would look better, feel free. Preston has even said that he didn't care for the flares, but they served their purpose. All we're trying to say is that we appreciate what Preston did, thats all, it is sort of an ugly duckling, but I'm sure seeing it on the track, it performs like the swan.

Fun thread. I just read through it and had to weigh in. I also like the car and dislike the flares. I remember my thoughts when I first saw it quite some time ago - ugly, but tough to come up with a pretty solution for the flares. Possibly he could have made the entire body of the car wider, wow that would have been a lot of work. I would say the "ricer" tag is the opposite of this car.

I like to see modified classics, because restorations bore me. For history's sake I like to see a few examples of a car restored, but there's nothing worse than one after another of the same thing at a car show (yawn).

..and now 30+ years after they rolled off the assembly line even many family sedans can out perform original Mustangs in every way. This is exactly the same reason why most people modify their '32 Fords - it's a lot more fun to drive it after the modifications.

Yeah, to me rice is something that is supposed to look/sound 'fast' but isn't. This car is sort of the opposite of that. He did talk of widening the body, or cutting the fenders off inside of the top edge and extending them out, but didn't for whatever reason. While I don't like the flares, I do think they look decent for what they are. I mean they're not all wavy, uneven and unlevel.

Ahh, 17 and you know it all. How do you know you've done more metalwork than him? Lets see some of these 'restored' cars you've done? I'm particularly interested in the T-bolt clone as I'm building a NSS legal '63 Fairlane that will look similar to a Pre-bolt clone.
No, not saying I know everything, far from it. I am just saying that I have spent a fair amount of time in a less than optimal workplace restoring and modifying cars. My dad's '68 restoration got me into the hobby but I really wasn't able to work on it much, just painting the engine, engine bay, and interior. I guess we all have to start somewhere though, right? I then began a simple repaint of a '28 Model A coupe with the strict supervision of a seasoned hobbyist. This work simply consisted of wetsanding, wetsanding, and more messy wetsanding on weekends and holidays. No pictures as he is a fairly close friend and I see the car all the time. The next project was the '49 Ford which was a basket case of rust and was really my first shot at welding and fabrication. I learned gas and mig welding on this car. Here is a picture...(sadly, the only one I took pictures of)
Sorry, but these are the only pics I can find of the '49 at the moment...
A frenched headlight.
49ford75mm.th.jpg
A frenched taillight.
49ford21eq.th.jpg
I'm sure everyone will be happy to know that the car, after the installation of a Mustang II front clip from Fatman Fab, is motivated by a fuel injected 5.0.
That is old-style scratch putty in the pictures since the guy who owns the garage and taught me bodywork is an oldschool type of bodyman. He loves his laqcuer.
As I stated earlier, I only have pictures of the '49(can't find very many right now), and my Mustang. The Fairlane was hail damaged so it needed considerable body work. The owner wanted Whimbledon White so it was shot in Dupont's ChromaOne SSU(single stage urethane). I perfected the gel coat on the teardrop hood and installed and welded two toeboard floor patches when not doing usual bodywork. Fun project but was really just a money maker for me and my partner. I needed a welder and gas, and he needed money to finish the '49. The car was supposed to recieve a 427 big block but I haven't talked to the guy since the car was finished.
That brings us to my '66. I should say my dad's '66, my project. I do the work, he pays for it. Thats ok though as I love the work. This car was purchased because we wanted another Mustang and I was ready to do the work my way for once. The old man liked to cut corners now and again. Here are a few shots of the car before work commenced.
driversside8uw.th.jpg
passside3ds.th.jpg
The engine, blurry because PO took it.
engineonstand5uc.th.jpg
Engine compartment before with runny, gross POR15. (I hate this stuff)
enginebay8rv.th.jpg
And now it is in bare metal awaiting epoxy primer and a satin black topcoat.
dscf00703il.th.jpg

How much bondo (if any) do you typically use. I'm not saying that you can't do the work that comes out of Marcel DeLay's shop, but the likelyhood is very small. What do you charge per hour? I suppose you also can't stand the SN65 car (which is on the cover of the August edition of Hot Rod and incidently won the ISCA Detroit Autorama 2006 Outstanding Engineered Award).
I like to say that I do 75% metalwork and 25% filler work. I would like to be, but am not good enough yet to skip the plastic completely. I use enough filler to make a smooth transition, but never more than .25" thick. I follow that with dry guide coat, a good 2k polyester putty, and a good 2k primer. I am a big fan of Marcel's and wish to someday be at his level(but not professionally). I do not charge by the hour, I charge by the job. The Fairlane was a $4500 job but it wasn't real involved. I should mention that the oldman took nearly all of that, I just wanted experience. I loved the SN65 project car and followed it all the way through the build. The car was outstanding but I must say that I didn't care for the color choice. I would have chosen black myself.

Attachments

• 49ford75mm.th.jpg
    49ford75mm.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 57
  • 49ford21eq.th.jpg
    49ford21eq.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 57
  • driversside8uw.th.jpg
    driversside8uw.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 62
  • passside3ds.th.jpg
    passside3ds.th.jpg