Once n For all chevy/ford poll

Do you Condone non-ford engine swaps in ford body products

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am sorry, I think a ford should stay in a ford. I hate it when I see a nicely done ford hotrod. Nice colour, all chromed up and a chevy small block in the frame rails. There is a few like that around here and I just shake my head.

Hoofs beats are louder then heart beats!!

• Sponsors (?)

RIGHT ON!!!:rlaugh: Man, I'm gonna have some stickers made that say that. I've never heard that one. LOL!

I had a "Hoof beat of America" sticker on the back window of my Fox. Unfortunately there are too many stupid people and I always had to explain what it meant. Even after I did some people still did not get it.

To OP, I am confused by the choices, but i will say this...my 93 came with a 5.0 and I have been working on my engine combination for a long time. However if I did scrap all my plans and do a swap it would be for a 2011 5.0! :nice: Besides Z06 emblems look stupid on mustang fenders.

im only 35 im not ready to slow down yet so no chevrolet here!!! maybe i should go buy a corvette and put a 351w in it, wonder how the chevrolet community would react to their flagship having a FORD motor?

Not my thing but i would welcome a sub forum about it just so every retarded thread about it gets stuffed there and i don't have to see them every other day.

Just like in the other thread, I agree! Make a separate section of the board dedicated to breed swaps. Then lock every thread that pops up in here that supports it, and lock every thread that shows up over there that discourages it.

We wouldn't have near as many retarded arguments about it if StangNet had an official policy on it.

Personally I don't care what the next guy does with his car (Fox bod or otherwise) but I wouldn't do it. I like Chevy's but I still consider them my biggest rival. I want to beat them not join them.

Word. A good, healthy rivalry always makes things more entertaining.

On that note, is it weird that I enjoy seeing breed swap cars get beat more than I enjoy seeing Chevy/Chevy cars get beat?

I think it was a poorly worded question and was one way or the other and I am right down the middle. I did vote yes...

I always laugh when I walk up to a nicely done Ford hotrod with a SBC in it, ask the owner why they chose a Chevy and most will tell you because they are cheap to build. Really? No expense spared for paint, interior, wheels, tires, suspension...but you built and engine based on it being cheap to build? :nutkick:

I do enjoy a LSx powered Fox though, but I feel it more proper if it was a 4 cylinder car and not an original v8 car. It is unfortunate that Ford did not bless us with an aluminum, push rod v8.

I think it was a poorly worded question and was one way or the other and I am right down the middle. I did vote yes...

I always laugh when I walk up to a nicely done Ford hotrod with a SBC in it, ask the owner why they chose a Chevy and most will tell you because they are cheap to build. Really? No expense spared for paint, interior, wheels, tires, suspension...but you built and engine based on it being cheap to build? :nutkick:

I do enjoy a LSx powered Fox though, but I feel it more proper if it was a 4 cylinder car and not an original v8 car. It is unfortunate that Ford did not bless us with an aluminum, push rod v8.

You know, everyone claims a SBC is cheaper to build, but from what I've seen, it's just like a SBF. Hell yea, it's cheap to build- if you want to use swap meet iron heads and a mystery garbage-bin flat tappet cam. But build something with aluminum heads and a nice roller cam, and you're spending just as much money on a SBC as you would a SBF.

You know, everyone claims a SBC is cheaper to build, but from what I've seen, it's just like a SBF. Hell yea, it's cheap to build- if you want to use swap meet iron heads and a mystery garbage-bin flat tappet cam. But build something with aluminum heads and a nice roller cam, and you're spending just as much money on a SBC as you would a SBF.

I agree, i think the difference is minimal.

In the end I really dont care what others do with their cars, if you have time and effort in your car because you enjoy it then I think thats cool. In the end we're all just car guys trying to enjoy life one mile at a time.

The whole Ford vs. Chevy rivalry is almost nonexistent (at least where I live). Its more of a Ford vs. honda and other forms of rice, rivalry nowadays. :shrug:
Not to me. There's still nothing like pulling up next to a Camaro. It's the thrill of the competition and the history behind the two. Something I definitely don't get racing Honda's. lol That goes for Hondas fast and slow.

Going to try to phrase this without coming off like a prick...

None of your opinions matter. Truth is, the guys who do these swaps don't give a damn if the purists are going to throw a fit. They're doing it because it's a proven platform and a proven driveline and because performance (for some wild unknown reason) is somehow more important than whatever logo got stamped on the block. So all these threads popping up cursing these "bastard" cars are doing nothing but cluttering up the boards and falling on deaf ears.

Going to try to phrase this without coming off like a prick...

None of your opinions matter. Truth is, the guys who do these swaps don't give a damn if the purists are going to throw a fit. They're doing it because it's a proven platform and a proven driveline and because performance (for some wild unknown reason) is somehow more important than whatever logo got stamped on the block. So all these threads popping up cursing these "bastard" cars are doing nothing but cluttering up the boards and falling on deaf ears.

I understand what you're trying to say, but opinions DO matter if you're trying to create a profitable website that will draw in lots of users. Right now the vote is 2:1 Loyalists VS Breed Mixers, which is proof positive that the majority of users DON'T want to see mixed breed swaps.

You're right though, at the drag strip, the clocks don't give a damn what brand is crossing the 1320' mark. Around a website like this, though, you have to please the masses.

Nik, Your one to do the research.

Go get yourself a Summit book. Or Jegs, it won't matter. The SBC is cheaper to build when buying new parts each and every time.

Hundreds of dollars cheaper to build than a comparable SBF.
It's not even close.

It's cheaper as a refurb, it's cheaper as a crate, its cheaper as a race engine.

And when your done comparing, even if you happen to find comparable builds for less than the "hundreds of dollars" I find it to be, You still built an engine that is shy 50 cubic inches to the one you compared it to.

Now for the record, I hate the conventional SBC. Even when it's in the car it came in. But when comparing cost to build, I've been proven wrong on that very fact, when I was standing on my ford soapbox trying to claim that a "dart block based" build was the same price or close. Between a 351, and a 350? It's even more different then.

Again, I am no chevy engine in a ford hugger. I just don't lose my s*it when I see one anymore.
And after owning two different 05 GTO's I have become a LS fan.

I was told by a neighbor with a ford hotrod with chevy engine that the chevy engine fits easier and doesn't require modifications to the firewall.

As far as the fox swaps, i certainly can appreciate the ls series of engines, god knows i would sell my cars at a moments notice to get a new zo6 (favorite of all obtainable cars) or a a cts V.
But i see no real reason to put one in a fox, a c5 zo6 can be found for 20 grand and that will run low 12's all day bone stock. It's also as light as a foxbody.
Seems like alot of work for a lateral move.

The cheaper to modify argument is plain old stupid. Any idiot can figure out A. Engine swaps cost extra money to make it work negating any possible savings and B. Goto summit racing and price out parts, it's really not cheaper.

The cheaper to modify argument is plain old stupid. Any idiot can figure out A. Engine swaps cost extra money to make it work negating any possible savings and B. Goto summit racing and price out parts, it's really not cheaper.

You know, I gotta ask you.

Can you do this kind of work, or do you pay somebody to do it?

Because if you can do everything involved to swap out an engine including modifying/building the mounts and an exhaust to finish the job, then

A. you're wrong

Anybody typically attempting this swap isn't looking for a "bolt in" solution.
Before anyone even considers this swap I'd imagine that It's taken as fact that they will have to build/modify mounts, a driveshaft and a set of headers to finish this job.

W/ the headers being one, (which I can do) and the drive shaft being the other (W/ the last time having to have one shortened was my current project @ $100.00) Where do you see the additional work that negates the worth of doing the swap?

I just put down the Summit book.

Pg #128. Bluprint Engines 383.
420/hp/450tq.

4 bolt GM block,Scat cast crank, hypereutectic flattops, Aluminum heads, GM rods w/ 150k psi bolts, flat tappet hyd Cam, lifters, alum intake, edelbrock carb, MSD hei dist, 30 mo. warranty
Fully dressed is listed as turn key, 3995.00

Then turn back a page to the 347
330hp/380tq
comes w/ the same as above except has cast iron modified heads
And of course, the 2 bolt block.
same 30 mo warranty
The "budget stomper" is listed 3995.00, but you still need stuff.

(*Do you consider this the same just because the price is the same?)

There was a fully dressed version of the 347, but it was listed at 4899.00.
I didn't include this price because blueprint couldn't justify the additional expense. ( I called and asked) But know this. They say when you get it "fully dressed" it also comes with a w/p, mechanical fuel pump, plugs and wires. I decided that I could buy these items for less than 900.00

So bottom line, The budget stomper still needs a w/p, plugs, and wires at the 3995.00, so we'll say an additional 100-150.00 say....4150.00

or look on page 129, FRPP 306 340/310
stock crank, Comes w alum heads and hyd roller, forged pistons, but no intake, dist,carb wires, to consider it "fully dressed"
Warranty???
3839.95 And it's missing all that stuff, still only a 306.

(* Is this the same price to you?)

Or If you just wanna be a determined to get it running w/ a chevy kind of guy, Then look at the GMPP crate engine on page 126.
350c.i 290/332. All stock new crate engine w/o carb or dist.

$2579.95:eek:

Find me a SBF motor that makes 290 hp, factory built w/ new parts and comes w/ a warranty for the same price as that.

Then after you find your ford motor, find me the transmission you're gonna back it up with.
PG. 198 has a PA turbo 350 w/ converter rated to 450 hp priced at 904.00
The next page has a PA C4 w/o bellhousing/ converter rated at the same 450hp. priced at 1147.95.

B. If someone considers this swap and has to pay someone else to make it fit,........Then I'll agree w/ you and everybody else, that it is not cheaper.

You know, I gotta ask you.

Can you do this kind of work, or do you pay somebody to do it?

Because if you can do everything involved to swap out an engine including modifying/building the mounts and an exhaust to finish the job, then

A. you're wrong

Anybody typically attempting this swap isn't looking for a "bolt in" solution.
Before anyone even considers this swap I'd imagine that It's taken as fact that they will have to build/modify mounts, a driveshaft and a set of headers to finish this job.

W/ the headers being one, (which I can do) and the drive shaft being the other (W/ the last time having to have one shortened was my current project @ $100.00) Where do you see the additional work that negates the worth of doing the swap?

I just put down the Summit book.

Pg #128. Bluprint Engines 383.
420/hp/450tq.

4 bolt GM block,Scat cast crank, hypereutectic flattops, Aluminum heads, GM rods w/ 150k psi bolts, flat tappet hyd Cam, lifters, alum intake, edelbrock carb, MSD hei dist, 30 mo. warranty
Fully dressed is listed as turn key, 3995.00

Then turn back a page to the 347
330hp/380tq
comes w/ the same as above except has cast iron modified heads
And of course, the 2 bolt block.
same 30 mo warranty
The "budget stomper" is listed 3995.00, but you still need stuff.

(*Do you consider this the same just because the price is the same?)

There was a fully dressed version of the 347, but it was listed at 4899.00.
I didn't include this price because blueprint couldn't justify the additional expense. ( I called and asked) But know this. They say when you get it "fully dressed" it also comes with a w/p, mechanical fuel pump, plugs and wires. I decided that I could buy these items for less than 900.00

So bottom line, The budget stomper still needs a w/p, plugs, and wires at the 3995.00, so we'll say an additional 100-150.00 say....4150.00

or look on page 129, FRPP 306 340/310
stock crank, Comes w alum heads and hyd roller, forged pistons, but no intake, dist,carb wires, to consider it "fully dressed"
Warranty???
3839.95 And it's missing all that stuff, still only a 306.

(* Is this the same price to you?)

Or If you just wanna be a determined to get it running w/ a chevy kind of guy, Then look at the GMPP crate engine on page 126.
350c.i 290/332. All stock new crate engine w/o carb or dist.

$2579.95:eek:

Find me a SBF motor that makes 290 hp, factory built w/ new parts and comes w/ a warranty for the same price as that.

Then after you find your ford motor, find me the transmission you're gonna back it up with.
PG. 198 has a PA turbo 350 w/ converter rated to 450 hp priced at 904.00
The next page has a PA C4 w/o bellhousing/ converter rated at the same 450hp. priced at 1147.95.

B. If someone considers this swap and has to pay someone else to make it fit,........Then I'll agree w/ you and everybody else, that it is not cheaper.

Mike, your pricing comparison is not apples to apples.

First off, if you are going to quote Ford racing prices, only compare them to GM performance pricing. When you look through the gm performance pricing the first one worth owning is $4100 and that only produces 330hp.
It would appear you went through the prices picked out the cheap junk for a chevy, then compared it to factory ford parts pricing.
And why bother even telling us about a factory engine producing 290 flywheel hp, no sane person would ever consider going to a chevy engine in their mustang to get 250rwhp, you could do that with a $500 explorer junkyard engine.

Second, compare pricing on good heads, cams, and intakes. Pricing is all very similar between the brands. If you were to take a stock chevy or ford shortblock and add a top end to it, pricing is almost the same.

Shortblock pricing (especially aftermarket) is all over the place for both manufacturers, IMO that part really can't be taken into consideration, based on different internals and different builders.

Bottom line, if you are building an engine, you can physically do them for about the same price.

I think your voting options are stupid and therefore I won't vote. Here's my take on it...

I have no problem with someone doing a non-ford engine swap into a ford car. That said, I am sick and tired of EVERY car show hot rod having a 350 chevy under the hood - that's original :rolleyes:. It's one thing if an LS1 or LT1 is in a GM car (Bel Aire, old Camaro, etc...), but to put that engine into another brand car (Fairlane, Mustang, etc..) is just overdone and lame.

Let's see something unique, like installing a Coyote, the 6.2 out of an SRT-8, a Lexus V-8, Nissan V-6, etc.... into a hot rod/fox body.