One Way Power Steering

yeloxr7

Apr 18, 2005
I need help to resolve the problem with the power steering system in my 69 Cougar. 351W/FMX. I have power assist when turning left but little or none when turning right. I can't remember exactly when this started happening or which part might be the cause because I replaced the pump and other hydraulic parts during a time when the car was not being driven.
I spent last Friday at a shop with a guy who is an expert on these power steering systems and he fiddled with and replaced the control valve a couple of times and replaced the power cylinder. Turns out that the rebuilt power cylinder I had in the car was a 65-66 Mustang piece. These are 3/4" shorter than the 67-70 unit.

I've been wondering if the pump may not be providing enough pressure. I was told that more effort is required to move the internal control valve parts for a right turn than to the left due to different sizes of the springs on each side.

Another thing that entered my mind comes from a story I read years ago. Someone was suffering from the effects of reduced fluid flow through a rubber hose and discovered that a flap of the hose lining material had been cut when an end fitting was installed and the flap acted as a one-way valve in the hose. Because of this I am wondering if there might be a problem like this or a blockage in one of the control valve-to-power cylinder hoses.

Any ideas or suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)