Opinions needed! Leak Issue

redeluv

Sep 10, 2006
Jax Fl
Need an opinion on a passenger side leak issue. I've done some searches and seen some others with this problem.

Started about a week ago when it rained really hard here. I'm leaving work and as I hit the gas I hear what sounds like water overflowing from under the glove box. I pull over and check and the carpet on the passenger side is soaked. A couple of days later it happens again but this time I get a brake fliud low warning. I get home check the level and it's fine. I call the dealer (29,000 miles - car still under warranty) and he says I will have to drop it off the next day. An hour later I go check to see if the warning is still there and its not. I drive around the block and no warnings. Brought the car back home and three hours later I look outside and my passenger side front running light is on. No others lights!!! I cranked up the car and turned the lights on and off while that light remained on. Disconnected the battery so it wouldn't go dead. I dropped it off this morning to the dealer and I get a call and they tell me the drain under the passenger side wiper was clogged causing it to fill up and drain into the car. They said the cabin filter was soaked and needed to be replaced. The water leaking into the car was also leaking onto the GEM module most likely causing the warnings and the light staying on issues. They then tell me it's going to be 350 dollars to fix the leak which would not be covered by the warranty. They also said the GEM module needed to be replaced and they would get me a price on that tomorrow.

Now I understand that maybe the drain got clogged from the trees over my driveway. But it seems to me that even if the drained was completely sealed shut and water filled up that it should still never enter the cabin!

Do you guys think this should be covered or am I screwed?

Thanks!
Buddy

• Sponsors (?)

I agree with stan on this one. Technically they have an out with the whole lot of your issues being cause by the drain getting plugged, but as he said if they care about your business they'll make it right altogether or meet you half way.

Others have complained about this same problem, an obstruction being the cause, and I recall their dealer caring for the issue with no cost out of pocket.

I would take it to another dealer w/ a copy of the water leak TSB. There could be multiple water entry points some from the debris, some for shoddy manufacturing. Either way, make sure you air out the car, put a hair dryer on the carpets (or pull them up and let them dry). The last thing you need is for the mold to start growing (the problem I had from the water leak).