Opinions on what should be next

hamonkeiser

Feb 6, 2003
Lancaster, PA
I starting to plan my winter project & need some opinions on what should I shold do next to my LX (See Sig for Current Mods). I'll have 2 to 3K saved up but I'll need about $800 of that for a 6 point roll bar that I already plan on putting in. I want to make it a decent performing street/strip car. Looking for 12's or high 11's. I'm thinking that I have a pretty good start on the motor & maybe I should put some attention on the suspension now to help the car hook up when I take it to the track. Maybe an aluminum rad? Let me know what you guys think.

• Sponsors (?)

If you are going to keep the auto, get a torque converter, that would be #1 on my list.
Although if it was my car, i'd ditch the auto and put in a 5 speed. You can gain 1/2 a second from that alone.

you could get a better set of heads, something aluminum, such as the newer edelbrocks are some afr's, maybe a custom cam matched to your combo.

Point taken on the torque converter. Something for me to consider. I just installed the Thumper Ported E7's last year & I think I'm going to stick with them. I'm really happy with their performance.

Any other suggestions?

Without a supercharger or a 5 speed i think with the e7's you are going to have a tough time getting low 12's, you'd be more likely to see high 12's low 13's. Maybe even mid 13's. Guys in 5 speed lx's coupes have a tough time getting in the 12's with them, so i'm not so sure with a heavier car and an auto you are going to be able to go that fast. Probably is possible, i've seen alot of odd stuff happen with 5.0 mustangs, but i'd say it's unlikely.

Edit:i'm just noticing you have "nitrous" in your sig, what exactly are you running?

2000xp8 said:
Edit:i'm just noticing you have "nitrous" in your sig, what exactly are you running?

It's the Edelbrock Performer Dry Kit. Currently it's only an 80shot but the kit can be upgraded to 150. I didn't get a chance to runthe car at the track this year (to busy with a position change at work) so I don't have any times yet. I want to get the roll bar because you have to have one if you run faster than a 13.99 in a convertible.

I think most tracks are lieniant with the 13.99 rule in a vert if you have a full interior. With the advent of the O3 cobra, everyone in a cobra vert would need a roll bar before they even hit the track.

You're probably mid to low 13 now, with the juice. A guy i know with the thumpers in a gt vert with a 5 speed ran 13.99, on street tires, so...

As i said, first thing i'd do it the converter, i hear you can get around .4 out of that alone.
I hear edge converters are good quality and fair priced, i've seen nothing but positive things said about them. Most of the other cheapos like TCI and B&M i don't hear good stuff about. Then you have the rest like level 10, precision and a couple others, but they are all like $1000 bucks.

Yeah, I'm kinda leaning towards the converter idea. I'm still thinking of doing something to the suspension to get the car to hook up. I'm can always bump the bottle up to the 150 shot if I need to. Still getting the roll bar. I live near Maple Grove Raceway & I know they'll shut you down on the 13.99 rule.