OT: 2.4 Nissan Altima Intake Manifold R&R Help please...

90mustangGT

I felt sorry for girls because
Founding Member
Jan 15, 2002
Dallas, GA
At work I am working on a 2000 Nissan Altima 2.4L I-4. It has a leaking intake gasket. I am wondering if anyone who has done one can give me tips on the best way to do this. Calls for 5.5hrs. I am probally going to pull the motor and tranny Monday. I cannot get at the bolts that attach the intake to the head. I got all but one out, and I could get it but getting them back in is going to be a impossible because there is just no room to get it started. I did the same thing on a sentra 1.6, but this is so much worse. This is the biggest POS motor I have ever worked on. So many lines and harnesses, no room to work with.... :mad:

• Sponsors (?)

Ah, dead miss on one cylinder, Got to love em! You do not have to pull engine.

I normally move the exhaust pipe (from manifold to cat.) and the engine cross member to gain access to the lower intake bolts. I use a 12mm gear wrench to get the middle ones. Also I move the power steering pump and the pcv box(above pwr.steering pump) Doing these things will help get to the Rh bolts, but they still are a pos to get to.

Which bolt is your last?

Oh yeah We don't take the upper from the lower, just take bolt lose from the intake to head and pry the intake back and install a block of wood (2*4). then use a scraper to remove the old gasket. You will need to be sure you have ALL the gasket removed, because if not you will be tearing it back apart.

We get 6hrs customer pay but 3.4 or something under warrenty.

Hope this helps! :flag:

mustangjoe87: Mitchell says very little about it. Mitchell sucks, it goes all in detail about simple things, but says nothing about anything worthwhile.

Ih8losin: Thanks a million. I think I will try that. My last bolt is the second to last one towards the powersteering on the bottom side. There is a line that blocks access to this bolt from the underside and I have it almost all the way out, but the line blocks access to the wrench. I pulled the starter as well. Thanks again and I will repost on my results. Not one car has been turned away or I have had this much problems.