OT: 89 GMC 454 AC Clutch Question

Platonic Solid

Founding Member
May 29, 2002
CT-USA
When I left my employers old factory last Sunday evening with a truckload of paint booth equipment, the belt on my 89 GMC 3500 started squealing. I decided to ignore it in hopes that I could make it the 5 miles home. NOT! I got 1/2 a mile on to the highway and nasty rubbery smoke was billowing everywhere. Pulled over to the side to find the serpentine belt had melted. I don’t think I drove long enough to cause any engine damage. Ended up getting towed home.

I keep the truck in good mechanical condition. The 454 engine is a real work-horse. The belt melted cause the AC compressor pulley locked up. The AC hasn’t worked for a few years which is fine by me since I pretty much only use it for hauling and towing.

I was hoping maybe I could bypass the compressor by using a non-AC belt. Going by the simple circle and line belt routing drawings at NAPA, it looks like there’s a different idler pulley setup for non-AC.

I may be able to replace the AC compressor clutch, but am unfamiliar with how this is done. Anyone know the secrets to doing this?

65672.jpg

Thanks,
Svend

Attachments

• 65672.jpg
    65672.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Sponsors (?)

You don't have a "pully puller"? I guess it's my general "too cheap to pay somebody else" syndrome; but I once (years ago) bought one to change out a furnace blower motor. Never used it again; 'til I the A/C on my old '76 one ton Chevy gave out .
Of course, I cried when I had to buy a "spanner wrench" to get the shaft nut off the old 85lb loooooonnnggg bodied '70s-era Harrison compressor. And again when I needed a 20mm socket for the '91s compressor; cause they don't use the "spanner nuts" anymore. :rolleyes: The ony cool part was that I still had that old $10 pully puller! :D

I'll probably need the 20mm socket again someday; but does anybody need a 1-1/8" spanner wrench?

Oh sure, I have a “pulley puller” that I purchased to pull the harmonic balancer from a 93 Taurus, but it won’t work for this application. I think this is what I need:
Note the concave end which fits over the odd rounded 1/4" rod visible in the center of a larger threaded hole on the clutch. Almost as if it was specifically designed to thwart the use of any generic puller.

Then I guess I need something like this to install the new one:
Unless I go for the Big F'n Hammer method, which doesn't sound too appealing in a cramped space on a $155 part.

Well, the closest I could come (looking for an online image) to the old POS metal "tool" that I have laying around is being called an antique "gear-puller"; but I remember it being called a "pully puller" on the box mine came in. Probably because it was sold in the '80s version of a Home Depot- type store. Anyway, here's a link to the pic:

http://www.yesterdaystools.com/Gear_Puller.jpg

Not as nice as one of today's three-jaw adjustable gear pullers, but it worked pretty good on those GM A\C clutches.