OT: Medicinal MJ

• Sponsors (?)

I have to agree with the above, to a point. A friend of my brother's dad was dying of cancer and used marijuana, albeit illegally, and it helped him to be comfortable, when the pain medications that were prescribed to him didn't help. It has its place, but it may be better suited to concentrating the THC in pill form, versus actually prescribing marijuana. RC would be quite a bit more qualified to talk about the legalities of controlled substances, compounding them, etc., so hopefully he'll leave us a comment here.

Without having read the article, I think its a crock of ****. Of course youre gonna feel better, you're ****in high!

As opposed to being "high" off of morphine, vicodin, or oxycontin? We are talking about MEDICINAL here, the point IS to feel better, correct?

Here's another interesting article you should read:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/14/u...artner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

If you don't bother:
"The Florida report analyzed 168,900 deaths statewide. Cocaine, heroin and all methamphetamines caused 989 deaths, it found, while legal opioids — strong painkillers in brand-name drugs like Vicodin and OxyContin — caused 2,328.

Drugs with benzodiazepine, mainly depressants like Valium and Xanax, led to 743 deaths. Alcohol was the most commonly occurring drug, appearing in the bodies of 4,179 of the dead and judged the cause of death of 466 — fewer than cocaine (843) but more than methamphetamine (25) and marijuana (0)."

- NYTimes

Not trying to start anything here..just debating.

As opposed to being "high" off of morphine, vicodin, or oxycontin? We are talking about MEDICINAL here, the point IS to feel better, correct?

Here's another interesting article you should read:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/14/u...artner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

If you don't bother:
"The Florida report analyzed 168,900 deaths statewide. Cocaine, heroin and all methamphetamines caused 989 deaths, it found, while legal opioids — strong painkillers in brand-name drugs like Vicodin and OxyContin — caused 2,328.

Drugs with benzodiazepine, mainly depressants like Valium and Xanax, led to 743 deaths. Alcohol was the most commonly occurring drug, appearing in the bodies of 4,179 of the dead and judged the cause of death of 466 — fewer than cocaine (843) but more than methamphetamine (25) and marijuana (0)."

- NYTimes

Not trying to start anything here..just debating.
Sorry, but this article doesnt have much if anything to do with medical marijuana. It's like telling me rocket launchers should be legalized because a lot more people die from legal hand guns. The article has its place, but not in this argument.
Also, I'd like to read the actual study rather than a report on it.

turbogt said:
marijuana doesn't huyrt anybody... Alchohol is far worse of a drug than weed.. period

Some eveidence for your very matter-of-fact statement would be nice

From the FDA:

Marijuana is listed in schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA), the most restrictive schedule. The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), which administers the CSA, continues to support that placement and FDA concurred because marijuana met the three criteria for placement in Schedule I under 21 U.S.C. 812(b)(1) (e.g., marijuana has a high potential for abuse, has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States, and has a lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision). Furthermore, there is currently sound evidence that smoked marijuana is harmful. A past evaluation by several Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) agencies, including the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and National Institute for Drug Abuse (NIDA), concluded that no sound scientific studies supported medical use of marijuana for treatment in the United States, and no animal or human data supported the safety or efficacy of marijuana for general medical use. There are alternative FDA-approved medications in existence for treatment of many of the proposed uses of smoked marijuana.

TurboGT is absolutely correct. Marijuana has been attributed to 0, yes ZERO deaths. (Check that NYTimes article I posted earlier.) It's physically impossible to overdose, look it up. Anywhere. Alcohol is attributed directly to thousands of deaths each year.

This is all besides the fact that I'm talking about marijuana in a medicinal sense. The American College of Physicians has officially backed medicinal marijuana.

These are all facts, I'm not going to cite anything...look it up. The FDA outlawed marijuana without doing any scientific research, they did it because of blacks and mexicans bringing the drug into the country, causing them to 'look at white women twice' etc etc. It was all racist bull****.

TurboGT is absolutely correct. Marijuana has been attributed to 0, yes ZERO deaths. (Check that NYTimes article I posted earlier.) It's physically impossible to overdose, look it up. Anywhere. Alcohol is attributed directly to thousands of deaths each year.

This is all besides the fact that I'm talking about marijuana in a medicinal sense. The American College of Physicians has officially backed medicinal marijuana.

These are all facts, I'm not going to cite anything...look it up. The FDA outlawed marijuana without doing any scientific research, they did it because of blacks and mexicans bringing the drug into the country, causing them to 'look at white women twice' etc etc. It was all racist bull****.

Thank you.. I have a cousin that gets medicinal marijuana.. I'll have to ask her about it.. She's had a rough life and has been in constan pain since she was born.

Just for the record, I don't smoke ANYTHING.. I probably would but I'm trying to be the best athlete I can be and even having a puff of a cigar makes my lungs hurt for a couple of days..

You're not gonna win an argument without putting some evidence out there.

I'm liking this thread discussion. I'm for the complete legalization of Marijuana, and it should be treated like alcohol... caught high in a car accident? DUI. Caught high at work? Get fired. Caught ridiculously high in public? Spend a night in a cell. I don't think its any more harmful then booze.

Adam

I'm liking this thread discussion. I'm for the complete legalization of Marijuana, and it should be treated like alcohol... caught high in a car accident? DUI. Caught high at work? Get fired. Caught ridiculously high in public? Spend a night in a cell. I don't think its any more harmful then booze.

Adam

I couldn't agree more.. But it will never happen.. Cigarette companies would go out of business.. Why would you smoke tobacco when you could smoke marijuana?

Ive seen this topic come up around here before and never posted, but I have my opinions and am generally pro marijuana, but keep it to myself...growing up in MA and living in CA probably has something to do with it as they're probably the 2 most liberal states (and my parents are hippies :D).

With that said, and I may be stereotyping here, how far is my argument going to get in a forum with a bunch of people that drive Mustangs? It would seem to me that most people here are probably pretty far right in their political views ect ect, carry guns, hunt, fish (all of which I enjoy btw even though Im pretty liberal). If you posted this topic in a hybrid prius forum you may get some different opinions!

The point is, if you can keep your priorities straight(family/school/work) with everything and not turn into a piece of crap, it shouldn't be a problem. It comes from the Earth, it's not a manmade substance, and it's safer than lots of things that get you "high"...but then again, not everyone cares to alter their state of being

Adam

I'm for the legalization of a lot of stuff out there. Not because I'm interested in taking it but for the black market marking it illegal creates. If a lot of illegal drugs were made legal, it would be interesting to find out how many drug dealers would still be around. How many crimes would be committed when you could get good quality $h!t for lower prices? No penalty for taking it, but extra penalties if you commit a crime while taking it. While there are a lot of drugs out there that will hurt and kill you easily, I feel that someone should be allowed to take it if they really want to. It's their life, and theirs to screw up if they so choose.

I looked at the first few articles they listed, and they were from, in this order-
Britain
Spain
Canada
France
New Zealand
Germany
etc... I stopped looking after that

Hard for me to know whether or not the University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand is a legitimate institution.

synned said:

404- not found. But it looks like a canadian web site.

synned said:

Some of those comments come from the late 1800's!!!!!! The most recent is 10 years old. I dont know about you, but I wouldnt give too much credit to a quote taken from a 120 year-old study from the "India Hemp Commission"

synned said:

From the Article:
"If it is possible to make drugs that act only on CR2, as suggested by the authors of this study, they might mimic the positive effects of cannabinoids without the damaging ones of marijuana.

"However, this is a fairly new field of research and producing such selective drugs is not an easy task.

There you go, Marijuana is damaging- according to the evidence you gave me.

"There is also no evidence yet that cannabinoid-based drugs can slow the decline in human Alzheimer's patients."

synned said:

I can only read the abstracts here, so I can't really say anything about it

synned said:

This one does not find a link between MJ and cancer, and I never attempted to make that claim. But what it also does not do is give evidence that Marijuana is helpful in any way, shape, or form.

Let me say, I am for research into anything that can help people- including the possibility that cannibanoids can be helpful, but I dont think that straight smoking pot is a legitimate medicinal use.

:flag:

I think its kind of funny...the state that is the leader of the smoking ban...is also the leader in letting people smoke MJ...I just find it ironic. NNNNNOOOOooooo dont smoke...here smoke this.

Having had some college level course work on the topic of drugs for my psych. degree that I am 3 classes short of, and plan on finishing as my 3rd degree...not an expert but have some background. There are some VERY interesting studies on drugs.

I think a pill form or liquid form of THC would be the best route. If someone is in poor health the last thing they really should be doing is smoking anything. There is an honest use for it as some people just dont react well to nausia meds and MJ works.

Like it or not I am one who thinks that if we turn our backs on any aspect of medical research/avenue of study/prescription we will loose the cutting edge growth of medicine. I mean stuff on the edge of wide spread "social" acceptance like stem cells and medical MJ need to be studied and in some cases used. Threw this study and use better forms will develope. The key is that either WE as the U.S. will develope this or another nation will and they will.

Hell my family is responsable for developing blood thiners/anti clotting meds from researching rat poison. You never know were things will take you and to turn and say NO...is only going to put you back...that is how the middle ages were able to loose the greatest amount of information EVER. At the same time we need to learn from mistakes and the past...like heroin being made to get people off opium...now they have methadone(sp?) to get people of heroin.

I think its kind of funny...the state that is the leader of the smoking ban...is also the leader in letting people smoke MJ...I just find it ironic. NNNNNOOOOooooo dont smoke...here smoke this.

Having had some college level course work on the topic of drugs for my psych. degree that I am 3 classes short of, and plan on finishing as my 3rd degree...not an expert but have some background. There are some VERY interesting studies on drugs.

I think a pill form or liquid form of THC would be the best route. If someone is in poor health the last thing they really should be doing is smoking anything. There is an honest use for it as some people just dont react well to nausia meds and MJ works.

Very true, the marijuana could also be vaporized, so the inhalation contains practically no carcinogens. Also baked goods with mj are sold as prescription in cali and many other states.

@SN95StangMan

Just to show you how much of a benign substance weed is compared to other drugs:
"
In summary, enormous doses of Delta 9 THC, All THC and concentrated marihuana extract ingested by mouth were unable to produce death or organ pathology in large mammals but did produce fatalities in smaller rodents due to profound central nervous system depression.

The non-fatal consumption of 3000 mg/kg A THC by the dog and monkey would be comparable to a 154-pound human eating approximately 46 pounds (21 kilograms) of 1%-marihuana or 10 pounds of 5% hashish at one time. In addition, 92 mg/kg THC intravenously produced no fatalities in monkeys. These doses would be comparable to a 154-pound human smoking at one time almost three pounds (1.28 kg) of 1%-marihuana or 250,000 times the usual smoked dose and over a million times the minimal effective dose
assuming 50% destruction of the THC by smoking. "
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/library/mj_overdose.htm
Read the bottom of that page ^ really good facts.

Let me say, I am for research into anything that can help people- including the possibility that cannibanoids can be helpful, but I dont think that straight smoking pot is a legitimate medicinal use.

:flag:

Check this video out, watch it through...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvzX8aNwxgM

And again, it doesn't have to be straight smoking pot, it could be ingested much like any other drug, it just has to be cooked first.

I couldn't agree more.. But it will never happen.. Cigarette companies would go out of business.. Why would you smoke tobacco when you could smoke marijuana?

Wellllll I hear what you are saying, but if I ran a company and 4 of my employees went out to smoke a cigarette, I wouldn't care. But if they went out and hot-boxed a car in the parking lot, they would get fired. Just like if they went and split a bottle: also fired.

In terms of the original poster's point, I don't see how you can prescribe opium for medicinal use but not marijuana. That just doesn't make sense. I had shoulder surgery in March for a torn Labrum, and Percocet made me dizzy, Vicodein made me itch all over, so I ended up with 800mg Ibuprofen which worked. Who's to say that a couple pills of THC would have helped me with pain and not triggered an alergic reaction? And THC isn't nearly as bad for you as Percs or Vics!

Adam