Outer Dew Wipe Weather strip - Issues Fox body

Sho Off1

Sep 15, 2018
Winnipeg
Hi all,

I bought the set of outer dew wipes to replace my rusted ones.

So upon installation - The dew wipe panel has a rise in at the end where it meets the mirror. The rest of the part is flat. When all tightened, the window won't go up as it is pressed in by the wipe and mirror pressure.

I also found the two end rivets hold the wipe tight to the window. Where the middle rivet and wipe felt leaves a large gap between it and the window.

Any Thoughts ?

- I checked various sources online, I ordered the correct part.
- Is the door skin bent out and i need to bend it back in to deal with the gap ?
-

Attachments

• 20210203_091802.jpg
    20210203_091802.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 20210203_091811.jpg
    20210203_091811.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 20210203_091824.jpg
    20210203_091824.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Sponsors (?)

The door skin looks bent out. The bend may be causing the ripple by the mirror. Hard to tell in the pic. Rubber parts sometimes need heat to get back in shape after packaging and shipping. Summer sun is usually good enough.

The correct way would be to take the strip back off and measure from the metal door skid edge to the closed window. It should be the same from front to back.

Took the mirrors off.

This is how the piece comes from the supplier, not sure why it has the bend at the end, shouldn't be there IMHO. All the kits online seems to be like this ? I ordered from Rock Auto. Has anyone had a different experience with the product from LMR or another supplier ?

The gap in the middle, it seems my door skin is bent outward, I'll have to find a way to persuade it back in a 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Attachments

• 20210203_121902.jpg
    20210203_121902.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 88
  • 20210203_121907.jpg
    20210203_121907.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 103
I just installed a set from LMR. They also had a slight bend at the end but not as much as your picture shows.

As far as them contacting the window, they relaxed and now make full contact. I really had no issues installing them.

I also replaced the run channel weatherstrip so my windows roll up and down slower but I think it will get better as time goes on.

The ones from LMR are also Daniel Carpenter.
Are you sure? I just looked. Nothing on there says Daniel Carpenter. It should simply say it if they are...... Like these...

You don't have to guess.

The sunroof rebuild kits they offer are also Daniel Carpenter products.

I agree, they should just come out and say it.

Reactions: 1 user
I like to order certain things from LMR... most general replacement parts I get from them, but Blue Oval Industries is the go to for any weatherstripping for me. They have a very detailed site for those products. I hate guessing.

Reactions: 1 user
Good to know.

The more I purchase from LMR the more I see that a lot of their products are drop shipped from the manufacturer, are overpriced for the same brand sold elsewhere, or are just Chinese junk.

Example:
I ordered new headlights, foglights, and LX taillights from them as a kit, they came in 3 different packages, from 2 different places. Headlights and taillights are from Perde, and the quality isn't great, especially the headlight kit. The foglights are cheaply made Chinese products as well.

Good to know.

The more I purchase from LMR the more I see that a lot of their products are drop shipped from the manufacturer, are overpriced for the same brand sold elsewhere, or are just Chinese junk.

Example:
I ordered new headlights, foglights, and LX taillights from them as a kit, they came in 3 different packages, from 2 different places. Headlights and taillights are from Perde, and the quality isn't great, especially the headlight kit. The foglights are cheaply made Chinese products as well.
Yep. I've had a long discussion with them on their headlight quality. Accomplished nothing I might add.

In their defense, there aren't any quality manufactures. Daniel Carpenter parts are high quality stuff because they spend the money to either make it right themselves or sub it out but use their own equipment. And they are active in the mfg process even if it's over yonder.