Outer wheel housing removal?????

rc4mike

Oct 10, 2006
OK, so i removed what was left of my 1/4 panel on my 70 fastback. Need to also replace the outer wheel housing. How do you separate inner from the outer? Does not appear to be spot welded.

Thanks
mike

• Sponsors (?)

It's been many years since I've changed one but I think they are spot welded where the inner and outer seams come together. Take a grinder and lightly grind the piece that sticks up above the wheelhouse where they come together. You should be able to see the spot welds.

It should be spot welded. Unless it is not original and has been replaced before and was installed with panel adhesive. If it's original, it should be spot welded. Look on the lip of the inner wheelhouse for the spot welds. You can also take a small sanding block and sand around the lip lightly. THis should exposethe spot weld reliefs. Or just start splitting the seam with a small chisel to see where it's attached. Or if you're good with a hammer and dolly, just air chisel it off...but that's more destructive. If you don't want to mess with it at all, you can cut the wheel house off and leave the lip attached, and weld the new one right over it. Not what i perfer, but have seen it done. The amount of thickness increase is not significant.

Thanks for the info. Cant see any spot welds. They must be there...will look closer. I was thinking of just leaving the outer flange and welding the new one to it figuring the extra thickness would be no bug deal.

Thanks
mike

If it is spot welded you could also use a spot weld cutter. Drill 1/8" hole in center of spot weld then drill out with this, might need a little chisel work. Works better and easier then grinding or chiseling the whole thing.

Attachments

• P0008772x.gif
    P0008772x.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 110
Eastwod carries them. Blair rotobroach cutters are better, but you may want to borrow those if you can. If you get the cheap one, order extra double sided cutters. You will need them. Once you ID the spotwelds, you can drill a hole through the center as posted above, or center punch each one. I can go faster with a center punch and the cutter, but others perfer the cutter with the drill bit in the center.