Overdrive on or off while racing?

sanitarium16

Oct 17, 2004
I always leave it on. Have a 98 GT with the 4r70w auto transmission, a FRPP Heavy Duty transmission cooler and Trans-go shift kit. Also have the firmness maxed using the Diablosport Predator. I heard somewhere that leaving overdrive on burns it out when racing? Does this stand true even though i have a shift kit?

• Sponsors (?)

I understand that you have a shift kit, but even if you do have some slippage, a rebuild kit is under $200 and you can put better bands in it which are currently in there.

I've heard that the O/D band is weak in these trannies, though I really don't know :shrug:

Yeah it definately is. My transmission rebuild isn't even a year old and its starting to slip into O/D... oh well 7 years warranty means another free rebuild :D.

The sad thing is the first thing i do is click off O/D and my TCS... Only time O/D is turned back on is when my low fuel light clicks on. I figure its safer to be revving at 3000 on the highway then to have my transmission shift into O/D, i always figure it'll rip the band again and then fry my 2nd and third... resulting in me driving to the tranny shop in 1st gear... again, i bet they love me and the warranty/guarantee i made sure they gave me... suckers, never give a guarantee something lasting 7 years to a mustang owner. :owned:

I'm also on apretty fresh rebuild myself. When I lost my car, it was 1-2 that were gone, but I still had 3 :nice: I could drive on the highway, but at lights/stop signs, it'd have to rev to 3500 to slam into gear.. It did make it to the shop though :)