Overheating question

94GTMustang5.0

May 29, 2009
I have been battling a long overheating battle with my 89 LX

So far, these parts have been replaced and verified to be in good working condition:

Radiator
Thermostat Housing
Thermostat (180 degree)

When I replaced the radiator, i filled the system with coolant and before i could even start the car, i noticed coolant leaking pretty heavily from the lower weep hole on the water pump!

When i started the car, it started shooting out of both of the weep holes!
But i dont get it, it wasnt doing this before i changed the clogged radiator!

Why was it leaking from the weep hole when the car wasnt even running? i dont get it!

Somebody, anybody, please help.

• Sponsors (?)

fan clutch and fan are in good shape, ill be changing the water pump today. any helpful hints/suggestions on changing it? do i need to remove anything from the engine like A/C or power steering?

Installing a new water pump is pretty easy. If you don't have one already, I would suggest buying a Chilton's or Haynes manual.

Make sure the surface of the timing cover is cleaned very good. Make sure there is no left over gasket material on the mating surface. Good luck

UPDATE: Replaced water pump, old pump seals were completely trashed.

Tried to burp the system. With radiator cap off, every time you push the throttle even slightly it literally forces a large amount of coolant out of the radiator.

Let it idle for 10 mins with cap off. topped off system and drove car.
worked ABSOLUTELY perfect!

Car sat for 2 hours. Went to drive it home, car ran slightly rough. smoothed out on the drive home. During drive home, car went to 3/4 of gauge and stayed hot.

Parked the car, no steam or leaks of any sort.
Let the car cool off, removed radiator cap, no coolant visible in the radiator. nothing but air in upper radiator hose.

What the HECK is going on?
If I throw any more money at this car, im gonna set it on fire.

whats next, head gaskets or cracked head?

I have only tried topping it off twice. will keep trying!

I dont want to tear half the motor apart :/

No smoke, no coolant in oil, etc. Car runs fine.

You might have to raise the left corner of the car with the radiator cap off to get all the air out of there. I drive up on one ramp is all. You gotta do what you gotta do....good luck.

(** the PO of my car installed the thermostat backwards!!)

Do you have a properly functioning overflow/recirculation tank? That will keep your cooling system properly filled. When the coolant gets hot, it will push any extra fluid into the tank once pressure reaches 16 psi and when your car cools back down it will draw fluid back into the radiator.

I haven't noticed any comments about the radiator cap. Make sure it's working properly or just get a new one since they don't cost much.

Good luck,
Dean

Do you have a properly functioning overflow/recirculation tank? That will keep your cooling system properly filled. When the coolant gets hot, it will push any extra fluid into the tank once pressure reaches 16 psi and when your car cools back down it will draw fluid back into the radiator.

I haven't noticed any comments about the radiator cap. Make sure it's working properly or just get a new one since they don't cost much.

Good luck,
Dean

+1 what sort of catch can are u running just and overflow or a recirculating can

I have the stock overflow tank, and i have tried multiple brand new radiator caps. it seems too much pressure is getting into the cooling system, cuz after i drive the car a while there is water all over the battery like it sprayed out from under the cap. and i have noticed my coolant is turning a dingy brown.

oil in coolant, so what should i do about a cracked head?

I'm considering dumping some blue devil in there and hoping for the best, this car is basically entirely worthless and is not worth the amount of labor i would have to do to replace the head. I dont even know if its the head gasket or the head. it doesnt smoke out of the back, but there is excess pressure in the system and the coolant looks ****ty, all brown and nasty (drained oil - no coolant in oil)

I'd rather throw a stick of TNT under the hood, than pull the heads off and pay for a new one, and all the new gaskets.