Overheating

Jonatan Issa

Apr 1, 2023
my 1993 Mustang these last days after 10-15 minutes the temperature begin to rise, normally stay below half
The fan clutch was changed when buy it because was overheating
And the I think the thermostat is opening
I took this picture inside the rad that’s don’t look normal

Attachments

• IMG_4055.jpeg
    IMG_4055.jpeg
    529 KB · Views: 68
  • Sponsors (?)

That isn't normal. You need to do a cooling system flush and would be a good time to replace the radiator afterwards if it doesn't clean up.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
The tubes are probably clogging with calcium deposits.

I'd be tempted to pull the radiator out, fill it with vinegar and let it sit and see if it can clear some of that up. But if it doesn't, you might want to consider a new radiator. Flow and heat transfer can be affected by that.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
Any radiator shops near you as new radiators (quality ones anyway) are not cheap. Might be worth seeing if they can clean it up for less money if its not your daily driver.

Reactions: 1 user

I'd be tempted to pull the radiator out, fill it with vinegar and let it sit and see if it can clear some of that up. But if it doesn't, you might want to consider a new radiator. Flow and heat transfer can be affected by that.
It would be worth a try, but it looks like faucet water was used in the cooling system.. Take it to an old school radiator shop and get it rodded out...

ok gonna try that, what coolant do you reccomend?

I'd expect a good radiator shop isnt cheap these days. Even though the core tubes could possibly be cleared, with an old core there are likely other weak points. I'd be going directly to a new replacement in this case,

Personally I would rather try the "rod out' or even a new core ( if its a quality shop) than some of the new garbage being sold that doesnt fit right...
I know there are some really nice new ones made, but aren't they around $1500??
I also like the brass radiator cores over the aluminum ones...

I'd expect a good radiator shop isnt cheap these days. Even though the core tubes could possibly be cleared, with an old core there are likely other weak points. I'd be going directly to a new replacement in this case,
I drove 30 miles to the only good " old school" one I could find... Charged me $210 to pressure check my radiator and condenser.. They cleaned and painted them too...

Yeah old school shops like that aren't common around here. Major metro area...everyone is just buying new cars and throwing new parts at them. Nobody repairs and it's rare to see a vehicle beyond 15 years old on the road because the salt eats them out. Not enough business for those old school shops here.

And I actually had this exact radiator in my 93 vert with aod for several years. Had no problems with it and it cooled fine for that particular setup. I sold the car with that radiator in it. Plastic tanks yeah I know. I’ll say this, it was light as a feather

TYC 556 Radiator Compatible with 1980-1993 Ford Mustang https://a.co/d/8eQ6hDd