Paint Tail Light Internals?

speed1972

Founding Member
Mar 13, 2002
Denver, CO - Buckley AFB
So I just bought a set of LX replacement lenses for a set of LX tails I picked up recently. The problem is when I took them apart, there was a large amount of caked on dirt inside, apparently from dirty water sitting in the lights. I've tried to get the dirt off but the silver is stained and doesn't shine quite as good on half of the light. Should I go with it as is or repaint it? And if I should repaint, what color/brand should I use?

thanks,
LB

• Sponsors (?)

I painted mine black and used a simi gloss. I can't remember the paint I used but it was nothing special and it's going strong for the past 5 years ;).

I did some taillights of mine not too long ago. I'll see if i can find the thread later on and post it up. Big difference in light output. I'll chime back in later

It's not really a stain. It's the original chrome paint just being burned off from years of the hot light bulb being on. My taillights were basically rough gray plastic and no paint at all

It never even crossed my mind until I took it apart yesterday..... guess I should have thought of it earlier. I got one painted today; definitely a huge difference from the old color. I was hoping to get both done today but I had to make a trip across town to pick up some paint for my 06. I got some new louvers and a wing I'm working on at the same time. Too many projects going at once :( Hopefully I'll be finished tomorrow and can get the new lights put in to see the difference.

Used the Duplicolor bumper chrome spray on my lens housings last year, as well, when I replaced both lenses. Made a HUGE difference in light output, since mine had been leaking and eating away the reflective coating on the inside of the housings, also.