Painted Dash - How To Remove Paint?

hoopty5.0

mechanicus terribilis
15 Year Member
Dec 14, 2010
SW Houston
I've had a dash in the attic and I recently put it up for sale, but no bites when people discover it's been painted. Is there a way to remove the paint? Will I have to sand it down and re-paint it the factory color?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes. You'll need to prep and repaint it. You can't remove the previous paint without damaging the plastic underneath. Any chemical that would strip the lacqure paint will also melt the plastic. I wouldn't sand it either. Sanding will remove the original texture of the plastic. Use a Scotch brite pad instead to prep it then clean it well with a degreaser.
Good luck

I'd use a mild prepsolve and primer and paint it the factory color. How much do dashes go for these days? You'll spend $20 in suppllies
well, structurally it's a really nice piece. No cracks, nothing broken off. Just needs to be the right color. Im considering using it in my car, but money is much more of a priority right now.

Goof off worked for me on some painted door panels I picked up. Test a small area first...I used a tooth brush and a rag removed it quick.

Reactions: 1 user