Painted Intakes etc.

mytight95

Apr 11, 2003
Dothan,Al
Has anyone painted their intake upper only. if so please post pics b/c i plan on doing this starting today. and i have already started to clean and organize my engine bay.

Also tips on bunching wires etc. would be helpful. I know some have done this because i have seen some very nice engine bays on here

:nice: :nice: :nice: :nice: :nice: :nice: :nice: :nice: :nice:

jason

• Sponsors (?)

I didn't paint my whole intake just the plate on top of it.

I really don't know if it would be wise to paint it, wouldn't it hold the heat in and also dull the paint pretty quickly!!!! :shrug:

Donny

I already have three coats of black on the intake, i used the high heat paint, it has ceramic in it and it says that it is good to 1200 degrees. So it should withstand the mid 200's right!

i'll post some picks of how it all turns out.

Jason

This is new pics with Silver Painted Intake and old one with factory ugly paint

90.jpg

035.jpg

Mine too is polished, but since you want to see neat wires...try this:

1.Take a tie strap (your color choice) and wrap it collectively around all four plug wires

2. Take 3 other ties, and wrap them perpendicularly to the first tie, between the 1-2 wires, 2-3 wires, and 3-4 wires. (basically in between any 2 give wires.

3. Pull all tight, and cut the ends.

4. The wires will stay evenly spaced, and you can do this every 10 inches or so...if you dont like the colors or arrangement, just cut and start over...Cheap mod and looks good.

RC

593645EnginePolished12.jpg

Attachments

• 593645EnginePolished12.jpg
    593645EnginePolished12.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 73
If i cant find any wire seperators for the plug wires then i will use those cinch straps. I am also going to try and straighten out some of the other wires etc. as well as trying to get those accessorie brackets halfa$$.

P.S. those engine bays look great i started to polish it but changed my mind as i drive my car everyday and that would be some upkeep to keep in a clean polished position

Thanks,
Jason

The only issue with the wire ties is the wires are touching each other, this can cause issue especially on blower cars where the #5 and #6 wire should be as far apart as they can be or they can junp spark.

Rick 91GT said:
The only issue with the wire ties is the wires are touching each other, this can cause issue especially on blower cars where the #5 and #6 wire should be as far apart as they can be or they can junp spark.

They are NOT touching. As I stated above, they are separated by the width of a tie. You wrap ties in between each one, when you tighthen the wrap that goes around ALL of them, it pulls them together, and they stop when the wires hit the ties that are separating them..Ill get a close up later tonight and post it.

RC

mytight95 ...3 coats of hi-temp and you should be good to go...i have used that stuff and it will hold up...

here's my Black intake.....painted with automotive PPG concept....holds up super to the heat...when i re-did my motor i used hi-temp Dupli-Color ceramic, it looks like the day in went...works good...must be the same type as it sounds like you used...

Attachments

• black intake.jpg
    black intake.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 155
Hey Rio How it going. I kind of mocked you on your intake. I saw a pic of it and thought it looked really good, however, i also taped off every opening on the TB and removed all sensors, and cleaned the inside of it. The intake has three coats of dupli color gloss black sanded with 1500 grit between coats and two coats of clear with 2000 grit wet sanding between. You can literally see your reflection in it(slightly disfigured but whatever) Also found vacuum leaks that fixed my idle problem while i had the upper intake off. Hid some wires

Somehow the painting, moving wires and cleaning brackets etc. took all weekend finished about and hour ago.

Ill post pics tommorrow.

jason

RC that is a very good idea, i didn't get what you were talking about earlier, i am going to do it your way. What did you guys do about the aluminum brackets, i bought some mag wheel cleaner and used that, and it got most of the oxidation off of them. If you removed them to paint them etc., how exactly does everhting come off of the car.

thanks,

jason

mytight95 said:
RC that is a very good idea, i didn't get what you were talking about earlier, i am going to do it your way. What did you guys do about the aluminum brackets, i bought some mag wheel cleaner and used that, and it got most of the oxidation off of them. If you removed them to paint them etc., how exactly does everhting come off of the car.
thanks,
jason

In the attached pic, see the wheel under the EM in Dremel, and the white pads next to it?

The first wheel is called and Abrasive wheel. You can buy a 2-pack in Walmart. One is like a 150 grit, and one is like a 220 grit. They feel like Scotch brite pads, and are great for sanding down ALUM with the Dremel at about 20,000 RPM. Use the Brown one first, then the gray one. Then Take some Tripoli, then Rouge, using the white pads and it gives them a little sheen.

You really have to "brush" into the metal to give it some shine, not just clean it. Good luck
RC

mytight95....i removed the brackets and then sandblasted them...and used Dupli-Color hi-temp ceramic clear to cover em...they'll look like new..
The brackets can be a chore to get off, but its not all that bad....toughest one is the PS/AC bracket...one funky bolt behind the PS pulley...

this pic is during my H/C install, but you can see those brackets.....i haven't taken the time to learn to polish... :nonono:

Attachments

• H C install.jpg
    H C install.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 109