Painting upper intake and valve covers...

5point0dude

Sep 5, 2007
So, this weekend I'm going to start on my project of replacing my valve cover gaskets. Since I'm already going to have the intake and valve covers off, I've decided to paint them. The'yre a real crappy greenish/gray color now just from being so old. I'm going to repaint them silver. I'm looking for any advice, tips, and/or techniques from anyone who has done it before, and anyone who has any info. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

If you've got the time on your hands, the stock valve covers reaaaaaaally look nice when you polish them. I put a good 3-4 hours into my old ones and it really sets the engine bay off. All I really needed to do was wax them every once in a blue moon.

I did paint my old upper intake back in the day though. Just clean it, prime it and spray. If you're going to clear anything under the hood, make sure to use the high temperature clear coat. Anything else will turn an ugly caramel yellow after a few heat cycles.....and you don't want that.

^Thanks, guys. Oh yeah, one more question, what's the best way to paint the plaque? I want to also paint it silver and keep the lettering black.

Too much work IMO. I would just spray the whole plaque, then block sand the top of it and let the natural aluminum finish show. Looks good that way.

I wish I had some old pics of my intake to show you, but I ruined it shortly after when I tried to open it up with the dremel to match a 70mm T/B I found and broke through into the runners. :(

If at all possible, don't sand blast the intake to prep it. It's real easy to accidentally leave grit behind inside the intake. Then when you put it back on your car and run it, that gets sucked into the cylinders and tears up your cylinder walls. If you do blast it, make sure you clean it really, really well.

Also, see if you can get high temp primer for your base coat. I didn't prime my intake, and I painted it with high temp paint, and it chips off REAL easy.

Definitly use a high heat primer. I painted my explorer intake recently and it came out great. I used a high heat primer, HH Aluminum color paint, and HH clear coat. Follow ALL directions on the can, including recoat and cure times. Just take your time and they will come out great.

I just finished polishing my intake plaque and it looks great. It took some time tho. Then I masked off and spray painted the lines. After they lines were dry, I used a brush to do the letters and wiped off the excess paint that was on the surface.

I was thinking about polishing my stock valve covers. Would it be better or worse to start off with sandblasting with glass beads?

The best way to do this is to just paint the WHOLE intake black. After its dry, sand the top of the plaque down using a sanding block. The letters and grooves will remain black because they are indented. :nice:

I have done it this way and it looks good, but if you don't want the sanding marks or want the whole thing painted then paint the whole thing first then tape the whole thing up (make sure your paint is completely dry first) and use an exacto knife to trim out the letters and lines. Then spray your letters whatever color you want.

But the sanding off the paint method is easiest and probably best.

I was thinking about polishing my stock valve covers. Would it be better or worse to start off with sandblasting with glass beads?

Blasting it couldn't hurt to get the initial junk off, but to be honest, you'll need to really take off the layers before you get down to anything smooth enough to polish. Once you start sanding, you'll see a lot of tiny little spider cracks in the finish from imperfections in the finish and the numerous heat cycles over the years. It may seem hopeless, but just keeps sanding.....you'll get past them eventually. :)

wow cool thread. anyone got pics of their out come? i was thinking bout powder coating my intake.

as far as sandblasting goes talk to the guys who do it or you get suplies from. They are different media that they use. they should beable to recomed what to use.

hey bryan. what is HH??

Ok...I have done 2 intakes and covers and intake plates.

The coating on the 87-93 intakes can be pretty tough and bead blasting doesn't take it off.
The bead blaster is GREAT for all the accessories though!

I used Aircraft Stripper on my intakes.

For the primer I used Sherman Williams Self Etching Primer.
For Paint I used SEM Promax paint and SEM Promax Clear.

Here is my 86 Capri and my 88GT

First my 86 Capri with a 89 upper intake.
I did sand down the texture on this intake so it would appear a bit smoother.

Here is the way I bought my capri.

PICT3121.jpg

and here are some finished pics.

P3036927.jpg

DSCN2248.jpg

DSCN2257.jpg

DSCN2263.jpg

I also did paint the whole intake plate and sand down the letters on top.

DSCN2260.jpg

Here is my wifes 88GT which I put a 93 Cobra intake on it.

How the car was when we bought it.

DSCN1726-1.jpg

The Aircraft stripper works great but can take a few tries.

DSCN4316.jpg

DSCN4317.jpg

DSCN4329.jpg

But with some persistence it will come off.

DSCN4341.jpg

DSCN4340.jpg

Primed with the Sherman Williams Self Etching Primer.

DSCN4344.jpg

DSCN4347.jpg

Some SEM Promax Gunmetal on it.

DSCN4348.jpg

Then some SEM Clear was applied.

DSCN4363.jpg

Also did the valve covers.

DSCN4162.jpg

Here is a shot before I got a new Cobra Plaque

DSCN4424.jpg

Here is the final product, well for now. I have more to do but here is where I am at.

DSCN4536.jpg

I had taken the old Intake Plaque and cleaned it up to sell.

I did paint it all black then sand it down.

Here is a shot of that too.

View attachment 213692

Ok...I have done 2 intakes and covers and intake plates.

The coating on the 87-93 intakes can be pretty tough and bead blasting doesn't take it off.
The bead blaster is GREAT for all the accessories though!

I used Aircraft Stripper on my intakes.

For the primer I used Sherman Williams Self Etching Primer.
For Paint I used SEM Promax paint and SEM Promax Clear.

Here is my 86 Capri and my 88GT

First my 86 Capri with a 89 upper intake.
I did sand down the texture on this intake so it would appear a bit smoother.

Here is the way I bought my capri.

PICT3121.jpg

and here are some finished pics.

P3036927.jpg

DSCN2248.jpg

DSCN2257.jpg

DSCN2263.jpg

I also did paint the whole intake plate and sand down the letters on top.

DSCN2260.jpg

Here is my wifes 88GT which I put a 93 Cobra intake on it.

How the car was when we bought it.

DSCN1726-1.jpg

The Aircraft stripper works great but can take a few tries.

DSCN4316.jpg

DSCN4317.jpg

DSCN4329.jpg

But with some persistence it will come off.

DSCN4341.jpg

DSCN4340.jpg

Primed with the Sherman Williams Self Etching Primer.

DSCN4344.jpg

DSCN4347.jpg

Some SEM Promax Gunmetal on it.

DSCN4348.jpg

Then some SEM Clear was applied.

DSCN4363.jpg

Also did the valve covers.

DSCN4162.jpg

Here is a shot before I got a new Cobra Plaque

DSCN4424.jpg

Here is the final product, well for now. I have more to do but here is where I am at.

DSCN4536.jpg

I had taken the old Intake Plaque and cleaned it up to sell.

I did paint it all black then sand it down.

Here is a shot of that too.

View attachment 213672

wow thats looks really good man :nice: