Parking Break Problem

jfrayzier

May 20, 2005
Well, this is weird. To me, at least.

This morning I started my car with all of the defrosters on. I let it warm up for about 20 minutes and then when I went to drive it, I let off of the parking break and started to move. STALL.

Anyways, apparently, even with the handle down, the parking break did not disengage.

I worked with it for several minutes and then it ended up working. Not sure what I did to get it to work, though... but I thought I would share this tidbit of experience with all of you.

By the way, the drop-glass also stinks in the winter.

• Sponsors (?)

There's a thread in GT Tech on this e-brake problem. Something in the cable work freezes around 12F. You can drive it off, as the heat will thaw it out, but it takes a while of driving on the brakes. Not much more is known on the topic as of yet.

Back when I was driving busses, I had this parking break problem. I know the busses have air brakes, so this could be the cable problem and completely different. But anyway, the brake linings used to seize overnight to the drums if the parking brake was engaged while the brakes were hot in cold weather. Just an interesting thought I had. The way we would fix that is to rock the bus back and forth until the linings broke free.