part number help?

jimbog

Jan 4, 2007
Taylor, TX
Hi,
I may have found a fuel sending unit for my '75 v8. The part number I was given for this is d4zz-9275-a. The one I found is part number d7zf-9275-aa. So,
it's from a '77 v8 (Cobra according to the seller). The d7z means it is a '77 Mustang. 9275 looks right (as does the picture of the part). In general, I think the aa is a good thing, as it should be a revision after the a, so should be compatible. What I am not sure of is whether this '77 part will be compatible with
my '74 tank. I don't know whether the d7 instead of d4 is a showstopper. As the
tank is from a '75 car, I wasn't sure whether the d4 was really right in the first place. Anybody have any insights into this for me?
Thanks,
Jim

• Sponsors (?)

The D4ZZ-A is what's listed for the 75/76 V6/V8 cars. The 77/78 V6/V8 unit is D7ZZ-A, but the engineering number is D7ZF-AA (the one you are asking about).

The D4ZZ-A shows as being superceded, so it's possible that the D7 is the replacement for all years.

I've had several different years of cars and replaced senders without having to check anything. I've even used the 4 cyl senders in V8 cars, you just have to cap off the extra port.

I'd say you should be fine using the D7 unit, unless someone else has a reason specifically why it won't work.