Progress Thread Pearl To White - Paint Time

• Sponsors (?)

In your case, I’d be looking for the most expensive ones I can find!!
Sounds like they are being fair about it sooo :shrug:
Really I know you're kidding :jester:
I would show the owner the cost of those door cards and a list of associated parts/pieces and inquire if maybe they can get a discount or save some on taxes or shipping. That shows you're sincere about the situation and willing to work with them too.

Reactions: 2 users
Well after a few weeks of looking for them, they came up empty. Now I'm having to search all over the place for some good clean ones. I'm beyond upset but trying to remain calm. I told them I need my back finished now and not paying them the balance until I find replacement panels which will come out of the balance owed.

I stopped by to check on my car and I’m not happy with how certain parts of the car don’t match in color. Passenger side front bumper to fender doesn’t match and the rear corner of bumper doesn’t match fender. It looks like they didn’t spray enough white in certain areas. How do you fix it without repainting the whole damn thing. So damn pissed right now.
IMG_3308.jpeg

Years ago we painted a Toyota land cruiser white... It was a body off affair, but we painted some of the body parts on different days...
Paint was from the same gallon of paint with the reducer/thinner from the same container, and all of it was mixed with a measuring cup assuring the same mix..... None of the parts from different paint times matched in color... Never did figure out why??

He tried painting the rear quarter ground effect using the same gallon of paint with same reducer/thinner and it still didn’t match. Looked like a brighter white. Have no idea how they plan on fixing it to where it all looks the same.

IMG_3311.jpeg

I have a buddy who paints and I asked him about this as well as the photos.
I know this doesn’t solve anything but may add a little insight in what may have caused this being that you asked and are curious as likely the rest of us.
No definitive answer but this is what he said:

It looks like mostly the urethane parts don’t match, like the nose and bumpers. I would say they were either sprayed at different times where the conditions like humidity were different, or they primed them differently. If it’s just the plastic pieces it could also be that they added a flex additive to the paint for those pieces and it may have changed the color a bit.

As for the fix, he says:

“Just a respray would fix it. Don’t have to strip anything so for a body shop not a huge deal”.

Therefore don’t panic. Maybe they can fix this without to much trouble as he says it’s not a huge deal for a shop.

See what others say…..

This will be fixed!

As for the fix, he says:

“Just a respray would fix it. Don’t have to strip anything so for a body shop not a huge deal”.

Therefore don’t panic. Maybe they can fix this without to much trouble as he says it’s not a huge deal for a shop.

See what others say…..

This will be fixed!
Respray the whole car?

Respray the whole car?
His response to that:

Yes I would say the entire car to be safe unless they know for sure what the problem was and they can correct it.
If it were me I would hit the entire car with two more coats of white then clear.

Me:
Again though, there are likely several different ways professionals would approach this so this isn’t anything definitive or the absolute solution. I’m Just offering a little insight from a painter that I have access to. See what the shop says and what others here say. This is just one opinion on how to handle it.
Bottom line is it can be corrected so try and relax and this will be fixed. See what others say and you will have a good understanding on what needs to be done.

Gotcha. I highly doubt they will want to respray the whole car. They had it all torn down to paint it. I have a feeling they will just try to get the color as close as possible and paint those areas while trying to blend the color.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not 100% sure, but maybe they can blend those areas to correct it? @95steedamustang any advice for him on how the shop should/could fix it?
Should have painted all the pieces on the same day at the same time. You have to be a top-notch painter to paint a color like that on different days. And get the same result. To fix it, they need to try their best to mimic the same conditions, whatever primer or ground coat was under they need to start there and start laying the color, same air pressure, same temperature, etc. and see if they can’t match the parts that don’t match. But if you shot that color to begin with and 15 psi in the second time, you shot it at 14 psi, it’s gonna be different. Laying more color on top of the existing color is only gonna make it match less.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks fellas, I have no idea how they will correct but pretty sure they will just try getting it to match as close as possible and just blend it all in to give the illusion of being the same color. I do wish it was all painted at the same time.

Reactions: 1 user