Petronix

• Sponsors (?)

just the pertronix really, i found out that there coil which they really hype up isnt neccesarry at all. but it is a better coil with more voltage. you will need a +12 volt source run from the ignition switch to make it work right. the wire that currently connects to your coil is only like 8 or 9 volts. its kinda complicated to explain, but depending on your setup, i can explain everything to you. it all depends on whether you keep your stocker type coil or buy the pertronix one, they are wired differently. its a great upgrade though, i recently went to the ignitor 2, but the base ignitor is really all u need. basically your car will still be wired like a points type ignition as apposed to an msd style, but it will really be electrical and will function and last like an electrical system. the ignitor really is a very simple concept, i cant believe it wasnt invented 20 years ago.

I went with their coil and the ignition system that replaces the points (pnx-1281 if you want to see it on summit) The only downside is i have no limiter now so I will probably get 6al for that

65fastback2+2 said:
ive always considered floating the valves to be my limiter
I have considered this but I am planning on spraying a little while down the road, wouldnt mind a low rev limiter while i break in my motor as well. Everything is upgraded to the point where it should be able to rev pretty high and i dont want to chance it

I just put a 1281 system in a '66 A-code GT yesterday. Stock coil, stock everything else. It took less than 10 minutes including cutting their 2 foot wires down to the 8" or so I needed. Popped the unit in, connected 2 wires, turned the key, and it fired up immediately, and better than ever.

This was actually my first experience with Pertronix, and I'm a big fan now. Fantastic product. :nice: :nice: :nice:

69Mach351 said:
I went with their coil and the ignition system that replaces the points (pnx-1281 if you want to see it on summit) The only downside is i have no limiter now so I will probably get 6al for that

the CraneCams XR-i points to electric kit has a rev limiter :) you can set from 4k to 8k? i forget the limit. just letting you know if u didn't :)

oh and 84convertablegt...sorry to ask here, but do you know if the MSD coils are the same way with having to run a 12v connection straight to it aswell?

Although everyone answered your question correctly, technically you asked the wrong one. It's not the parts you need that you should know, it's the equipment that you are running it on that you need to know. The parts are all inclusive with each kit but your engine size and whether you are running a mechanical or vaccumm advance distributor is the real question and the information you need to supply to get the right setup. Also note that technically the unit itself is designed to work on a stock ford distributor only but despite their claims, you can make it work on almost any distributor by not using everything in the kit and/or fabbing up a few things. They flat out told me it would not be compatable with my accel mechanical unit but after junking half the kit and drilling and threading one new hole, Voila, running fine for 2 seasons now.

Max Power said:
Pertronix I can run on less than 12 volts.
Yes, sometimes you can, there range is like 9 to 16 or something. but after all of the problems ive heard about with undervoltage to the ignitor, i decided it would be better to do it correctly. And the flamethrower coil does require 12volts because it has an internal resistor

thanks krash, for answering bout the msd coil. I just always get confused with this stuff hehe.

as I'm running the cranecams xr-i and the msd blaster... its a setup that isn't realy talked about here. i'm assuming now that the cranecams xr-i needs 12volts just like the pertronix? if thats the case i think it's not hooked up correctly on my car :-|

I ran an Ignitor II for some time, and while I enjoyed it, it left some to be desired.

The biggest problem wasn't the electronics itself, but rather the fact that it piggy backed on the original Distributor. Even though my distributor was a new rebuild, and was setup with good advance and light springs, it was not the same as a good aftermaket billet.

About a month ago, I switched over to a Mallory reluctor style COMP S/S distributor with an MSD 6al. Revving to 7k no longer has any hesitation. Feels very smooth and a big improvement over my old distributor.

So summing it all up, if you're just cruising, the Pertronix is great. Make sure your distributor is in tip top shape though. For racing applications, I still think a good aftermarket distributor is much better. Price is always a consideration, and my MSD/Mallory setup is well over 400 dollars versus the 130 for the Ignitor II And stock distributor.