phenolic spacers worth the $50?

• Sponsors (?)

To clear tall valve covers? They provide no power gain and in some cases have actually been thought to cause problems. They are made of a different material than the intake itself and (there was a recent thread here available through the search button) is thought to expand from the heat at a different rate, and to a different degree of expansion and broken thread ears off the upper intakes...how true this is I can't say, but as for power gains I can say no.

I had one on my 89 because of tall valve covers combined with an explorer intake. It didn't cause any problems, except that it threw the air-fuel ratio completely off and caused me to have to buy an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a rail mount guage and it took me the better part of a week to get my car to stop sputtering and spitting and dying

Here is my plate :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• nos-02116.jpe
    nos-02116.jpe
    36.5 KB · Views: 183
like the others said it would help to clear tall valve covers as far as heat disipation i doubt it would be affected that much (iceing your intake before a run would prob work better) and maybe im just speculating but, runners are a tuned length to get an air charge to the valves at the right time during the stroke and could throw of a/f and your rpm range.

I bought one off Ebay for $10/shipped for my Cobra Intake. Only reason I bought it was because it was cheap.

It's a 1/2" spacer si it didn't raise it too high. I don't think it did a thing for heat disappation. My intake still gets burning hot.

I bought one off Ebay for $10/shipped for my Cobra Intake. Only reason I bought it was because it was cheap.

It's a 1/2" spacer si it didn't raise it too high. I don't think it did a thing for heat disappation. My intake still gets burning hot.

yeah thats exactly what i was looking into one for; i just picked up a cobra intake and was looking at a 1/2" one. Sounds more negative than positive.

Judges rating?

:notnice: :notnice:

thanks guys! :D

I have a brand new never used 1 inch spacer for a tickflow intake if anyone is intrested.

I pulled the motor installed a tubular k-member and new poly motor mounts. Now with the 1inch intake spacer my cervini 1.5 cowl won't close so I won't be using the spacer.