Photoshop how-to thread

Killercanary

The car that set the bar.
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Altoona, PA
I've been playing with adobe photoshop and image ready lately and I feel there is SO much that I have yet to learn. I keep running into the same few problems and wondered if anyone can help me.

1. When trying to crop an image, I zoom in and use the polygonal lasso tool to make it a nice clean crop, but sometimes before I'm done it will connect back to the starting point and I'll have to start over. Why is that and is there anything I can do about it?

2. When cropping an image from one pic and pasting it into the next pic, is there a way to change the size of the cropped image after it has been pasted into the next pic? Also, is there a way to rotate the cropped image after its been pasted into the second image?

3. What's the easiest way to change the color of images?

4. Lastly, if I wanted to create a web banner, is there anyway to use on of the "styles" as the background?

I've tried for the past week to figure this stuff out and I can for whatever reason. Any help is appreciated.

Here's some of wht I've been playing with...

Original...
killercanaryside4.jpg

Lowered...
killercanaryside4lowered.jpg

Lowered with 10th anniv. cobra wheels...
killercanarywithanniversarywheels.jpg

Original...
paulatmountsmall.jpg

Lowered...
paulatmountsmalllowered.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

To crop the SUPER easy way, just use the RECTANGULAR MARQUE tool to select area w/ perfect 90* corners, and hit cut, then goto file/new from clipboard.
WALA!!!

EDIT: this is used mainly for cropping out like background and extra crap you dont need, not sure if this is what you're looking to do or not

oh, and when you paste your image into another one, it should start a new layer
to rotate: (make sure correct layer is selected)
1-Image/transform/free transform (easiest), hover mouse just outide of whatever corner than hold down and rotate (you'll see)
also used to resize selected image
2-Image/Rotate/whatever

super302 said:
oh, and when you paste your image into another one, it should start a new layer
to rotate: (make sure correct layer is selected)
1-Image/transform/free transform (easiest), hover mouse just outide of whatever corner than hold down and rotate (you'll see)
also used to resize selected image
2-Image/Rotate/whatever

I can't get this to work. Under image I do not see the transform tab. :shrug: If I use the image/rotate it will rotate ALL layers, not just the one I have selected. Am I doing something wrong?

BTW- THANKS guys!!!

Nice new avatar!!! I just recently acquired a new Canon EOS digital 6.1mp camera and it came w/Adobe Photosop 2.0. Holy crap, I'll never be able to do the things guys do w/photoshop. My dumb butt took pics w/the camera set on large and OMG, 2.3mb for just one pic. I still trying to figure out the resize so I can post pics. As for layering and changing colors????

Thanx for all the links.

I also have began to play with photoshop. I can do most things but nothing earth shattering. I have never tried to lower a car, did you just select everything except the wheels and lower it? Or how did you do it?

I also must admit i like those 10th anniv. wheels!

1. When trying to crop an image, I zoom in and use the polygonal lasso tool to make it a nice clean crop, but sometimes before I'm done it will connect back to the starting point and I'll have to start over. Why is that and is there anything I can do about it?

That happens when you double click. If it does, don't start over! Save what you selected thus far in a masking layer and keep going. You can add to the layer by holding down Ctrl (or Alt, I can't remember), you will see a little '+' sign next to the cursor.

2. When cropping an image from one pic and pasting it into the next pic, is there a way to change the size of the cropped image after it has been pasted into the next pic? Also, is there a way to rotate the cropped image after its been pasted into the second image?

Wheels for example: Paste the wheel onto a new layer by itself. The to rotate it and mess with it, you need to have something selected, otherwise they are grey'd out. To select the wheel and nothing else, hold Ctrl and click on the layer that has just the wheel.

If you want it to look good, it won't really be hard, just takes awhile. The hard part is getting the paint selected just right.

Try this article I put on my site for more details and screenshots.

I also have began to play with photoshop. I can do most things but nothing earth shattering. I have never tried to lower a car, did you just select everything except the wheels and lower it? Or how did you do it?

Select the wheels and the ground under the car and lift them. Then you have to fix the seem you made at the ground. It's easily done on pavement, you can completely hide the seem and make it look perfect.

Nice new avatar!!! I just recently acquired a new Canon EOS digital 6.1mp camera

Haly crap I'm jealous :hail2:

stprorolla49 said:
haha paul funny you should mention this...im in photoshop class now not learning ANYTHING which is why im on here :D i think i've leanred more teaching myself, than in 3 weeks of class....

Are you in highschool or college? Either way, thats pretty cool to have a class like that. I wish i did.

nmcgrawj said:
Are you in highschool or college? Either way, thats pretty cool to have a class like that. I wish i did.
senior in HS baby!! the class is actually called creative arts technology cause its got a bunch of art **** too, but its all on PS or ImageReady....either way, the class is terrible, and i havent learned a thing i didnt know before.....the teacher openly admitted that she hasnt touched PS in 4 years.... :nonono:

Killercanary said:

as some people said to do a simple crop just use the rectangle select, click on image at the top, then go down to crop:nice:

Theres a few ways you can do this, copy/paste, or you can also use the move tool (the one that looks like a normal mouse pointer with the little arrows). To use the move tool you simple click on it and drag it to the other image. To resize it and keep its proportions equal hold shift and drag one of the corners either in or out to make it smaller or bigger.

Select the areas you want to change colors and go to image, adjustments and theres a bunch of different options in there to adjust color.

4. Lastly, if I wanted to create a web banner, is there anyway to use on of the "styles" as the background?

not exactly sure what you mean but layers are your best friend, play around and learn how to blend layers and you can make something pretty cool